Chapter Three

After roughly an hour, my brother finally left. My body trembled fiercely as I slowly pick myself up. Blood stained the floor now, great. I picked up the shattered porcelain from the plate earlier before throwing them in the trash. If only I could be thrown away or die as easily as that.

I couldn't suicide. I want to, anything out of this hell. But I know that if I did, my brother wouldn't mourn but rather, claim to own all my belongings and continue to toy with my body. I reached for the knife and cut smoothly across my wrist, a mark, another day I've lived.

Quietly, I slip out of the house, I need to work if I want to continue to afford the house. Buy a new one and run away? I've considered that. It'd be impossible, afterall he would chase me to the pits of hell himself, he'd find me. I adjusted my shirt along the way, it wasn't obvious right?

After a short walk and my thoughts flooding my mind, I had reached my destination. A small convenience store at the end of a busy street, I went around the back. Entering through the back door, I see my coworker getting ready, clipping her worker badge on her shirt. Upon seeing me, she grins.

"Hey! You're late today, but we're late together. Ready to start the job before the manager goes apeshit on us?"

I smile back and nod, this girl was Jess. She'd probably be what I'd consider my best friend, despite her knowing nothing about my private life at home.

We rush out to the store, I was stationed at the counter while Jess was assigned to store maintenance duty. Jess was beautiful, but clumsy, carelessly knocking over countless displays and shelves. I laughed for the first time in a while, watching her clean the scattered mess, soon our shifts were over.

We talked at the back of the store while packing up and getting ready to leave. Jess was a pleasant girl, beautiful, optimistic and overall just perfect. She could have landed a job anywhere but here she is now, working alongside me. Can't say I wasn't glad of it though.

Outside the store, back on main street, Jess calls a cab. She usually walks home, as her house was only a few streets away. Weird.

She probably noticed my confused expression. She tells the driver to wait for a few minutes, before hopping back out of the cab onto the pavement beside me.

"There's a rapist in our area, you've got to be more careful too. They say he kills his victims afterward, walking home at this time just isn't safe anymore. Be careful on your way back. There's already been 5 victims..."

With that, she gave me a hug, waved and hopped in the cab. I watched it speed off.  I glanced at my phone, 9:50PM. We only finished our shift a little later than usual due to Jess's excessive cleaning. I sighed and continued home, I'd be punished probably for being 10 minutes late. Who was I kidding, I'd get punished either way.