Chapter X

Mackenzie's POV

My eyes slowly open. I look around see that it's still night time. Probably almost midnight by now.

I remember, I went to bed pretty early but, I was woken up to some noise. I look across from my bed and see Lauren. She's cleaning her arms with a wipe. She soon realizes I'm awake and gives me a gentle smile.

"Ran back from the movies. I feel a bit gross," she whispers.

I nod sitting up and wrapping my arm around a pillow.

"What did you see?" I ask.

"Double feature of zombie land and pride, prejudice and zombies," Lauren replies.

"I love those movies!"

"Me too," she smiled. She turns around and throws out her wipe and collects her things.

I sighed, realizing I'm not going to bed anytime soon. I start doing my sit ups. I don't waste anytime and just start to go one after another. But, I was soon stopped when Lauren turned around, giving me a questioning look.

"Habit, can't get fat," I whispered.

"Understandable, Emma stone is so fat though. She has to be a size six," Lauren nods.

I nod back, "I think she's just big boned."

Lauren chuckles, giving me a small smile the walking out of the door. I turn back to face the wall and continue my sit ups, soon spending them after I get to about a hundred.

Lauren still hasn't returned. I look at the door for a quickly glance, then turn my attention to my arm. Wrapping my hand around it and trying to touch my middle finger and thumb. However i fail to do so. Only coming short about an inch or two.

-

I stood out in the hallway, a blanket draped around my shoulders as I wore sweats and a tank top underneath.

Waiting with me were the boys, Lauren, Ruby and Lexi. Inside the room we were waiting to get inside of was Lola and Annie. We had to be weighed in the morning. See the progress, if any, we were making.

"Everyone, I'm breaking one-thirty today," Johnny announced proudly.

"Is that going up or down?" I ask quietly.

He looks down at me since I'm shorter than him by a great amount.

"Going up," he smiles. "I was eighty nine pounds when I got here."

My jaw drops, my mouth forming an O shape in utter surprise.

"Eighty nine?! How tall are you?"

However, before he could answer my question the door opens up. Out steps Annie wrapped in her white bathrobe.

She looks utterly mortified. As if somebody had told her she had some months left to live. In her eyes, tears welled up as she rushed to the stairs and get to her room.

"You're a beautiful unicorn!" John and Hayden call out after her.

"You," Lola said, pointing at John. "Head cheerleader lets go."

John smirks at us and stands up from resting against the wall.

"Let's get this done," he says closing the door behind him.

I look down at the ground. My mind races with so many thoughts. Until I'm interrupted.

"John's always been like that," Lauren speaks up. "He's an annoying brother but, he's always there to cheer you up. Even when he's doing crappy himself."

"Why did he call Annie a unicorn?" I question.

"It's this thing that happens with Annie. She does really good and gain weight and then she has this break. Then she falls back," Hayden explains. "It's like magically she just gets the motivation to do good then in an instant it stops."

"How long have you all been here?"

"Almost a year," Lexi stated. "We tried other places but those lasted a few months and then we moved on."

So they're like me? I thought.

-

I stared ahead of me. Looking at the bleak nothingness that was there.

I, yet again, was sat in the waiting room. Preparing myself mentally for the family therapy session.

Besides me to my left were Maddie and Jack. Who sat there conversating between each other. To my right was my mother and my step father, Greg. Who both were on their phones.

Just goes to show you my parents. They say they care but, they're too consumed by their phones and work to actually give to craps about me.

"Hey," I hear Maddie say.

I look up and see the girls. Who I guess just walked in.

They give us a smile and a gentle hug, then take a seat at the seats across from us. I smiled weakly, about to go back to my thoughts when I hear the door open.

I look up and there stood my biological father. With him stood my brothers, Ryan and Tyler.

I smiled weakly and stood up. Approaching them, they looked beyond surprised. I could see the pain in my dad's eyes.

"Mackenzie, you look like a ghost," he mutters sadly.

Moments later he engulfs me in a hug. A hug that, I haven't received in years.

When he finally breaks it, I give my brothers a hug and then stand in front of them. Smiling weakly. In a way hoping that the smile can make the situation better.

"You're like a completely different person Kenzie," Ryan says quietly.

I bit my lip and nod. I don't blame them being like this, I mean I get it. It's been awhile since they last saw me.

"How've you been?" Tyler asks, in an attempt to start a conversation.

I shrugged, "decent. Wha-"

"You all ready?" Holly asks, entering the room.

I guess this is it. Here goes nothing.

Merry Christmas everyone! (Or to those who celebrate)

I hope it was a great one. I had an amazing one. I got a new guitar! My first Fender! I'm really excited. I also got a harmonica.

And not only that but less than 6 months until I graduate high school and I'm so excited. Maybe I'll write by then but who knows.

But I just wanted to say merry Christmas and I hope y'all had a good one.

Also what did you get? Lmk in the comments.

Anyways bye loves xoxo