11

Matt's POV

I had agreed to pick up Karen at her flat before prom, one, because she didn't know how to drive, and two, Laura Jayne told me it was the male's job to escort her to prom anyways. 

She stepped out of her flat, and I swear my heart stopped. Her orange-red hair had been tied up, and she wore more makeup than usual, making her already gorgeous face even prettier. Her dress was a long strapless gold and black gown, and a beaded necklace completed the outfit. 

"Hey," she smiled. 

"Wow Karen. You look-" I raked my brain, trying to come up with a word to describe the beauty in front of my eyes. Beautiful, pretty, gorgeous, stunning, glamorous, ravishing, charming, alluring. None of these were enough to describe how Karen looked like. 

"I don't look too stupid, do I?" Karen joked.

"No, of course not! Quite the opposite, actually- you look lovely," I finally said. I wanted to slap myself. Lovely? Out of all the words I could have chosen, I said lovely. How pathetic of me. 

"Thank you. You look nice," Karen said. I guess she was out of words too, or maybe I really did look just plain "nice". 

We arrived at the hotel that the prom was taking place at. At the entrance, all the other pairs entered holding hands, so I took Karen's hand and she laced her fingers in between mine. Her hand was soft and warm, I hope mine was not full of sweat. A cameraman taking photos of the pairs asked us to pose. We started with a proper photo, and I wrapped my arm around Karen's waist and we both smiled at the camera. Then we did a silly photo, and did the stupidest faces we could think of, then we laughed. 

Karen and I made our way into the ballroom, and we couldn't find Arthur or Jenna. Billie was in the center with a large group of friends around her. The disc jockey on the stage put on a slow song, and every couple around us took that as their cue to start slow dancing. 

"Blimey," I mumbled. Of course there would be dancing, but I forgot that I couldn't dance. I could, but I wasn't very good at it. I put one hand on her bare shoulder and the other resting on her waist. We stared into each other's eyes in silence, swaying to the music. 

This felt like a good time to confess my love for Karen. "Karen Gillan, I-" I began, but I stopped myself. What would I do if Karen said she didn't feel the same way? I never prepared for that. 

When the slow song was finished, we got off the dance floor and got ourselves some drinks. I have gotten drunk a couple of times before, so it was nothing new for me, and it turns out it was the same for Karen too. 

A faster song came on, and I started waving my arms in the air for no real reason. Why was I doing that? I don't know, I didn't even drink that much. 

Karen burst out laughing," You're a drunk giraffe!" I put my arms around her shoulders, and then we got so close our foreheads were touching. 

"I like you, Matt Smith. You're a silly bloke," Karen giggled. She was drunk, but then, so was I. 

I limited the drinking so that I was still aware of what I was doing. "I love you, Karen Gillan." and there was no explanation needed. I kissed her on the lips, and then she planted one on mine. Soon our lips were all over one another, and before you know it our tongues joined in. Our breaths smelled strongly of alchohol, but neither of us seemed to mind. 

"I love you too," she whispered between kisses. I put my hand on her chest, and I felt the beat of her heart above the thumping music that was playing. Then she moved her hand onto my bum, and I saw Arthur walking over. 

"Jesus, you two, get a room. We're in a hotel," he rolled his eyes. 

Karen cackled, and our eyes met. She raised her eyebrows and I grinned in response. "Oh, I know a much better place than a hotel room," I said to Arthur, and I grabbed Karen's wrist and we fled the ballroom.