end of the world, part one

Sally Zacks didn't know she was about to destroy the world, all she knew was she was late for work. Driving downtown she was trying to put on make up, and not fall asleep. She had stayed up late the night before watching a old series on one of those streaming services, too late as it turned out. Now she was half paying attention driving, trying to put on make up and not poke her eye out with her eye liner.
Yawning she didn't see the box van in front of her slam on the brakes, didn't see the dog the van trying to avoid, she didn't see nothing after slamming in to the back of the van at forty five miles a hour.
Her cute, sensible compact bashed the back of the van, a split second layer a brilliant purple explosion lit the sky and vaporized a perfect circle 100 feet in diameter, melting everything with in the radius.
Sally Zacks died destroying the world, she was one of the lucky ones.

Forty five minutes after the explosion the strange purple light had subsided, the hole gave off a strange purple glow, pulsing softly.

"How deep?" Carlin asked out loud. They were forty feet from the hole and a curious mixture of scared and bored.
" no idea. And I'm not keen on finding out. " Jeffers sighed and looked back at the crowd gathered around the police barriers. Still no sign of anyone else. Just Carlin, their cruisers, and a crowd of people staring and waiting for sometime to happen.

Jeffers stood there and stared at the hole, fingering his gun and waiting. Firemen, state boys, even national guard would be welcome. But no it's just him and Carlin, two cops with a combined eight years on the force. Signing he turned back to the hole.

"Carlin..." Jeffers called for him, the purple light was pulsing stronger.
"The hell?" Carlin looked up from examining his fingernails.

A arm was coming up from the hole, followed by a second one. Jeffers glanced back at the crowd and then back to the hole. A head And torso emerged, followed by the rest of the body.

The man stood and looked around, he was blonde and fair skinned, nothing about him suggested he just crawled from a hole in the ground. Mumbling something the man reached down to help another man out of the hole. They both stood looking around, blinking and talking in some unknown language.

"Carlin, we gotta help these people." Jeffers started towards them until Carlin grabbed his arm and spun him around.
" Jeffers you idiot! Look at them. Really look. We stay here. We stay here and hope to God they stay over there! "

Jeffers looked back to the hole, four men stood there looking around and going on in some odd language. Jeffers looked hard, they were all muscular and blonde, fair skinned and dirty from climbing out of the hole.

Blinking he realized they were all at least ten feet tall.

The first man started walking towards them with a swagger, a easy gait that conveyed power, boredom and arrogance.

"The leader." Carlin breathed staring straight ahead. Jeffers nodded even as he knew Carlin didn't notice.

The giant man stopped ten feet away and fired off rapid instructions gesturing and stomping his feet.

"Get that?"

" Not at all. "

The giant keep shouting in the strange language and was obviously getting mad. The  someone in the crowd behind the barrier shouted and a few people broke away in a run.

The giant grimaced and strode the remaining feet to Carlin.  He Reached out a huge hand and poked Carlin in the chest. Stumbling backwards Carlin drew his sidearm and fired point blank into giant's chest.

A loud moan as the man fell, holding his chest. His eyes went glassy, blood flowed and the screams from the crowd created a sureal moment that seemed to last for hours.

"I think I fucked up."

Jeffers looked to Carlin, face and unifrom splattered with blood. Nodding Jeffers turned back to the dead man on the ground. Suddenly he was lifted off the ground and twisted horizontally.

'Hey look at that, more of em.' He thought, he looked for Carlin just in time to witness a giant take his head and tear it from his body. The blood spurted and Jeffers wondered if he was crazy, he didn't have to wonder long as the giant holding him slammed him over its knee.

Jeffers watched the giants, numbering at least twenty, tear in the remaining crowd, chasing them down like dogs, killing who they caught.
It hurt to laugh but Jeffers did anyway, he was crazy and dying so he didn't have much to lose.