Chapter 1: Jane Williams

(Thursday, 2017. 120 days before her birthday)

JANE

I wake up with a pounding headache. This headache has been with me for 4 months just before my 18th birthday. This kind of headache was different though, it was like I felt sick but I felt so much powerful and strong. I laid back my head again on my pillow.

"Shit!" I said, dragging out the i sound. My gold painted alarm clock rang again and I immediately got out of my bed. Getting out of my queen sized bed was a few steps away from my bathroom. I take a glimpse at the picture frame with my parents and me when I was three years old. I always felt so lucky to have them as my parent's, even though I'm not their real flesh and blood.

I was staring at the picture for a few more seconds and immediately ran to the bathroom realizing that my best friend, Jacob was honking his car horn outside, so early in the morning.

Jacob has been my best friend since the third grade when he pulled the stray sticks and leaves that embedded into my hair. It was autumn season, and I remember that day to be storm-like.

"You're pretty. Too bad you're careless." He said to me that same day. His gayness was always on full display, also as it was evident since elementary school. We ended the up becoming best of friends, walking through the hallways of hell together with a posse walking behind us.

My outfit was composed of my favourite leather mini skirt, my oversized baby pink sweater and the combat boots my parents gave me on my 17th birthday. The combat boots were up to knee length so hopefully my mini skirt won't be noticed by the parol officer in school.

I immediately heard the honk of Jacob's red Porsche convertible. It was a sweet ride, and he talked his parents into getting him a new ride for his 16th. The car is around a year old and a few months in its pocket.

I picked up my backpack placed on the floor beside near my side table and ran straight down stairs noticing the wedding picture of mom and dad, looking very happy. My parents were talking about something, but their voices were as faint as the sound of the rustic breeze outside. Just before I touched the black and white doorknob I had heard a fake cough coming from my mom.

"Aren't you forgetting something, dear?" Mom queries. I tried to contemplate what I had forget and then it immediately went straight right into my head.

"Oh right, so sorry Mom," I had said while changing my course to kitchen from the front door where my parents are. Mom was cooking as usual and dad was making calls while eating mom'sclassic omelette.

I kissed her cheek, "Love you mom." I said quickly and kissed her cheek and I heard her murmur the same thing I said without the "mom" part. My mom smelt like ketchup and eggs, which took away my headache. Mom was a really fierce woman but she had a very gentle touch that gives me goosebumps. Mom was definitely born to be a mother.

"What about me, pumpkin?" Dad asked, putting his phone down on the glass table. I went to him and kissed him on the cheeks, then he kissed me on the cheeks as well.

Dad is the head chemical engineer in Technica Vonder and he usually deals with the problems, that's why he has so many business calls 24/7. As long as he never neglects me, all is well. Whilst Dad is working, Mom makes the house feel like home.

A sigh escaped my lips as I take a look at my Apple watch. "Well, I got to run. Jakey's outside," They both say goodbye to me and carry on with the conversation they were having earlier.

I hop on Jakey's convertible, earning a pinch from him. I immediately wince and hiss. "What on earth was that for?" I ask him, rubbing the reddening part of my upper wrist. "It's not as if you waited for an entire eternity out here." I retort, rolling my eyes.

"First of all, you made me wait. And second of all, We're going to be late." Jacob said, while staring at the mirror trying to fix his overly gelled hair. I was confused, what were we late for?

"And what exactly are we late for?" I asked looking confused. Jacob lifted his right eyebrow and said "It's Damon's birthday. Remember, every year girls who are completely in love with him throw him this so called "surprise" cake and a picture with him without a shirt on." Jacob sounded excited thinking about Damon without having a shirt on. I sighed, thinking that he is not that hot.

"Hey! Your lucky. He flirted with you last year and up till now he still tries to get close to you" Jacob said while fixing his plain white t-shirt and black jacket. I looked down at his pants and I notice that he's wearing the skinny jeans I gave him a year ago.
"I don't care if he flirts with me. I still have studies on my mind right now especially since it's the 4th semester" I concluded. He gave me that weird smirk he does every time we talk about me and my education. I ignore his smirk and he eventually accelerates going out of our neighbourhood in Philadelphia.

We always had to pass this forest called Elk Neck state forest where I used to go when I'm in a horrible mood.

It was like it was like my home because I felt free and welcome. I cranked up the tunes in the car and we listened to our favourite car song, The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stephanie, Akon. The time passed by so quickly and before I knew it, we were already there. I looked up the sign: Willshire University.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

aestheticlaire for editing my mistakes
phoebebrianne for making the cover photo
Love ya'll😘