Chapter 1

“WAKE UP!” someone shouted causing me to tumble out of my bed with a scream. I looked up from the carpeted floor to see Loretta sitting in my bed picking her nails. Growling, I stood up.

“What do you want Etta?” I asked rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“Sir told me to wake you up so you can go out to the market.” She answered.

“Okay. Do I have time to shower or is it one of those special markets?”

“No it’s a regular market. He needs you to pick up some groceries for tomorrow tonight’s banquet.”

“Alright. I’ll be right back.”

I shooed her out of my room so I could shower. For a slave I had some pretty nice sleeping quarters. The walls were an ocean blue and the carpet was a sandy color. Master had tried to theme it kind of like a beach since he knew how much I liked to swim.

I stripped off my pajamas and stepped into the shower. The warm water trickled down my skin, and the jets massaged my sore back muscles. I sighed happily at the relief that they provided. I washed my hair with my apple shampoo and washed my body with my burnt sugar, milk, and honey body wash.

After a few minutes I stepped out of the shower and got dressed in my ‘going out’ clothes. Blue skinny jeans, a cream colored sweater, brown uggs, a brown scarf, and a cream colored beanie. I brushed my hair into its natural curls, and did my makeup naturally.

I looked myself over in the mirror, my eyes catching onto the tracking bracelet on my wrist. It was silver, with the initials C.Y. after Master Christopher. It was secured around my wrist with an electric lock. The only way to get it off was to put in the code in the control room, and the only person who knew the code was Master.

I quickly looked away from the cuff and hid it underneath my sweater. I swiftly cleaned my room before leaving to meet up with Master.

The halls were extremely busy. Everyone was preparing the house for the banquet tomorrow night. The rest of the slaves were cleaning and decorating everything, so they wouldn’t be swamped with work tomorrow. Every lord and lady was going to be here, including the King.

I found Master in his special living quarters, watching television. “Master.”

He dragged his eyes away from the old classic movie ‘Pompeii’ to look at me. He smiled, standing up with a yawn. “Lacey, my dear, how did you sleep last night?”

“Sorely Sir.” I replied rubbing my left shoulder. Yesterday Master took Ceeci, Lauren and I to the mountains for a hike as a vacation since we had been working our butts off lately. And because of our little get away I was completely sore.

“Did you enjoy it at least?”

“Yes Sir. It was a lot of fun. I’m sure the other girls feel the same Sir.”

“I’m glad you had fun. Anyways I want you to go to the market to pick up some groceries,” He walked over to his desk and pulled out a huge wad of cash, a black cell phone, and a white piece of paper, ”Then I want you to take a message to Master James about the banquet.” He pulled out a thick envelope and handed it to me. I took all of the things in my hands and frowned, this was a lot to carry.

He looked down at my full arms and frowned. “Stay right there.”

He walked deeper into his room before emerging with a brown leather purse that I knew once belonged to his deceased wife. He grabbed the things from my arms and shoved them into the purse before handing it back to me. “Be back as soon as possible.”

“Yes Master.”

Master kissed me lightly on the forehead, a silent way of allowing me to leave. He turned back to his movie as I walked quietly out of his room. I weaved my way through the halls, trying to avoid bumping into the other slaves and servants. Most people ignored me as I walked by, trying to complete their duties so they could have a bit of free time before the banquet.