Chapter 4

Morning came too soon. Karen's mother nearly fainted when she saw what she had done with her hair. She had to suffer as her maid in waiting poked pins into her scalp trying to hold it in place. She regretted having cut her hair last night, not that she was sentimental to it, but she thought it would be practical since she was under guise. Now she only wished she had waited until she had boarded the ship.
          Breakfast was a hurried affair as they were set to start on their way to the port in a few. They had to arrive at the docks before dark. Their bags were already packed and set by the door. Her mother and father took sometimes saying their goodbyes for they had never been apart for more than a week. It would be a tough time for both.
           Her heart broke for her father. She didn't dare let her tears fall as she bid her father farewell. She knew it would break him more. They were then on their way to the docks.
          Cole sighed again as he waited by a hidden corner at the docks. He couldn't bear to be recognized as the infamous pirate while he was wearing fine clothes. The clothes just did not suit him now, maybe later when he would be staying home after he grew weary of going on adventures. But for now, the garments were bruising his ego as a feared pirate.
He watched as a hackney rode into the docks. He noted that the coachman had a sword, meaning his company to 'America' had arrived. The two ladies who got out were a total contrast to each other as one was blonde and the other a redhead. The younger one turned and he saw the plainest face on his life. She did not stir any desire in him. He had never met any woman who did not arouse him thus it was a first for him. The lady was not even blessed in womanly parts. He was sure that he would have them arrive safely without worrying about fending off men around her.
              He waited until they queued before he stood behind them. The older lady visibly relaxed. He was not aware that she had been seeking him out, he hadn't noticed it. He would have to be on guard around the woman for she seemed more keen than him.
            Karen had noticed her mother relax her tensed shoulders once the handsome man stood behind them. It seemed he would be their escort. Why did father have to hire a handsome arrogant man?. I do hope he is not like other men when he opens that traphole of his. She thought. She knew that the chances of him taking a fancy on her was very negligible and didn't bother to give him a second glance. She even dared to sniff.
            The moment Cole heard the young McKenzie sniff, he immediately disliked her. She looked ready to bolt from there if given the choice. He struggled a laugh as he noticed for the first time how her face looked harassed. That must have been a rocky ride. If only I was there to see her tossed about in the hackney. He thought. I would have pulled her close to me and held her close. He didn't know from where that thought came from, it shocked him but he quenched it quickly. Bloody hell! He had never felt like that before. He shifted uncomfortably as they moved along the line.
       Lady May, Karen's mother has never seen her daughter act so haughty in front of a stranger she was not even introduces to. She watched indiscreetly the reaction on Cole's face. It was one of disdain but then a light came into his eyes, similar to one her husband had when they confessed their love to each other. It clearly made him uncomfortable. Also it seemed her daughter uncomfortable. Her heart was deemed with joy that reflected in her eyes and she could not wait for their story to unravel. Oh, she definitely knew about the promises they made when they were young babes. She hoped they would see it through.
         She looked to the skies for signs of a storm as they finally boarded the ship and was glad they would have a pleasant first day at sea. When they reached their allocated cabin, she waited until had gotten in before she turned to Cole.
        "I do not know how you plan to take care of us, but I would have felt better on your ship. Oh! Don't be so shocked about that. My husband can't keep a secret from me. So I do hope you have made arrangements for us, young man." She added just to tease him. She knew pirates liked respect but it would be her source of enjoyment to tease him like a mother. She turned and got into her cabin and found Karen casually looking around. She hid her mirth at how her daughter didn't know how to hide that she was eavesdropping.
          She chuckled as she lay down on her bed, letting out an unladylike groan at the feel of something soft. She looked up to see her daughter mortified.
        "Don't be so modest now dear! I do know how to enjoy small pleasures after such an invigorating journey. By the by, do be ready to wake up at 2 in the morn." She said as they changed into their nighshifts ready to retire for the evening.