Chapter 5

*Alfred Jones's POV*

Arthur Kirkland crossed his arms over his chest, giving me a glare that could kill. What was he all upset about anyway? Was it the fact that I was flirting with him? The fact that his son was doing things without his say so? The fact that all this was happening without his control?

"It wasn't my intention to intrude or anything, so I'm sorry if I overstepped my bounds-"

"OVERSTEPPED?!" He interrupted, slamming his foot on the ground. "You intruded into my house and now I'm just supposed to let you live here?! Who the hell do you think you are?!"

I sigh, running a hand over the back of my neck. "Look, I know it's sudden, and that you don't know or like me all that much, but my boy really likes it here. And he really likes your son, so could we just try to get along for a little while?"

Arthur scoffs, looking away from me. "I don't like it. My son needs to concentrate on school, not some kid he barely knows."

I nod in understanding. "My boy won't be a problem. If he gets distracting I'll take him out somewhere, all right?" Arthur doesn't really know what to think about all this and he's struggling to make the decision. "He doesn't really have that many people who like him much, so can't you let them be friends for awhile? That's all I ask is for you to try. And if you don't like it you can kick us out. So please-"

"Enough!" He yells, scoffing. "Damn, you beg like a dog."

"So you'll let us stay?"

He pauses, letting out a sigh of defeat. "I'll allow you to stay, but only for a short time. Got it? I don't need a bunch of Americans trashing the place."

The words overwhelm me, and I take the initiative. I wrap my strong arms around the British man, being careful not to crush him. "Thank you so much! You won't regret this!"

He pounds at my chest with his fists, pushing me away. "Get off me before I begin to!"

Something about him, even though he's always yelling and carrying on, makes me smile. I can tell there is a soft side to him that he doesn't like to show. One day I'll see it face-to-face and I'll know just how beautiful this angry little man can be.

I only smile in return. "Sorry."

Arthur points to a room down the hall. "You can sleep in the guest bedroom. First door on the right side of the hallway." He walks over to the stove, turning it on as he lays a kettle on top of it to prepare some tea before bedtime.

I give him a wave in reply, though he's not paying attention to me anymore. I leave little Arthur upstairs to his own devices. After all, he's growing up and he can handle himself. What could happen in a secure house such as this? I find the guest bedroom easily, slipping inside and closing the door behind me before collapsing onto the bed and closing my eyes. Maybe I can finally get that sleep that I've been dreaming of.