The Laws of Physics

"If happiness is activity in accordance with virtue, it is reasonable that it should be in accordance with the highest virtue; and this will be that of the best thing in us" (Nicomachean Ethics 10.7).

———————————————-
(Anna's POV)

My eyes are pointed up toward God's rumination. It's admiral blue and vast, yet endless like our stream of consciousness.

I can feel my spine touching the cold gravel of the empty road as I lay on my back watching the birds migrate north like humans to hope. What I love are their bright Bourbon brown feathers. It's an extension of freedom, of unrestrained locomotion, and a webbed designed instrument that reaches past the sun; Icarus.

I only wish one day to understand what it means to be free enough to play in the sky.

I'm making love to my blues, inhaling the deep resounding winds of life.

I can feel my feet on the ground even as I travel with my thoughts.

Studies have shown that the earth is mineral rich, and carries an intense negative charge that helps the well being of the body. I guess that's why I feel so calm ... because I'm negative too.

"Fucking hell!" I screamed as I surveyed the chaos around me. One minute I'm daydreaming the next a loud BANG interrupts my pleasantries.

There's a man with an orange bike, in a heap. His body's crumpled into the shape of a donut as he lies motionless before me. There's also a young guy with dark winter eyes standing over him, looking frantic.

I sat up slowly, dusting my jeans off. "Did he just crash?!" I asked, tapping the lifeless body with my foot.

"I...I....I...I...I...Tac...tack..tackled hhhim" he tried to explain through his awful stuttering.

I watched in strange amusement as he wrestled with his tongue. The words just wouldn't come out.

He sighed, giving up and took out a notepad furiously scribbling something.
"I tackled him. He was going to run you over. He was speeding downhill on his bike and you were lying in the middle of the road. I didn't know what to do?!"

After reading the note, I couldn't help but curse.

"You motha f'ning ass eater! That's my brother you idiot. Poor guy probably blacked out when he hit his head on the concrete!" I yelled.

He wasn't my brother.

I have a tendency to lie because my philosophy is that very few people deserve the truth, and even less care to know.

I looked at the injured civilian.

He groaned, moving slightly.

"It's okay Tom," I said making up a name. The truth was I had never seen this biker in my life before but I couldn't resist the opportunity to make up a joke.

I turned back to the ghastly pale trembling figure next to me.

"Hey, do you want to help pay my poor brother's medical bill? Since you tackled him? "He has scoliosis, I bet this fixed it," I said sarcastically.

Another lie.

The guy scribbled frantically again.

"My name is Jacob. Should we take him to the hospital?"

I extended a small hand to greet him,

"I'm Anna, and no let's just leave him. People should learn to pick themselves up when they fall" I shrugged, unbothered.

Jacob's mouth drops as I continue to walk away. I could tell that my ruthless attitude was shocking but I didn't care.

People always take one look at me and think they know me. As if they know about my life or think they can read me like a book. The truth was....

I've never fit in.

I'm forever that girl in a crowd that says something inappropriate or stupid that makes people walk away. I stick out like a sore thumb, and whenever I actually care about something, it ends up fucking me in the ass.

Hard.
Just like I like it...

Furthermore, I do weird shit, like talk to myself in public, dance to music no one hears, and cause problems just for the hell of it.

I'm proud of being a misfit, but it gets lonely too...

I have a love-hate relationship with my face and my breasts are too small. I've been told I have the body of a pubescent flamingo.

My dad calls me "Bambi" because of my huge eyes and washed out brown colored skin. Although, I prefer to describe myself as, "delightfully crisp".

I don't wear a mask, yet life is a masquerade.

I get in my head a lot... it's a dollhouse.

I'm currently enjoying the feeling of the jagged settlements of the road between my bare toes. I can hear Jacob calling 911 on his phone, to help the idiot who almost ran me over.

I shake my head in disbelief as I continue to walk off into the distance.

I'm counting the leaves as they get swept up in the spice and smell of October. The bright yellow lines taper off into the winding open road, drawing the clouds to the earth like lanterns.

" Earth is our home" I chant to myself.

As I listen to the echoing whispers of the twigs and branches.

I can hear the loud annoying huffs of that strange boy running up behind me. So I turn around, only to stare into depthless black eyes of Jacob, the night sparrow.

"I'm going on an adventure today!" I hummed.

Jacob stares at me, shifting his feet uncomfortably like he has to take a bad shit. It's quiet as I look him over. He has something to say, I can tell by the way he opens his mouth but quickly nods his head as if he's trying to work up the courage to speak to me.

I sighed, it looks like I would have to break the ice and speak first, or else winter will come before he says something.

"I want to see if I can hold on to one emotion as if it were a rope. I want to feel happy for twenty-four hours. Just a constant steady rate of joy, nothing altering it, no turbulence!" I explained.

Jacob smiles looking rather confused.

I bow, pretending like I am performing on a stage the world can see.

"Will you join me?" I ask raising a bushy eyebrow in Jacob's direction.

I don't believe in fate. We are guided by the trajectory of our choices. Even the insignificant notions catapult our course. We've been running towards it all our lives.

Speed, velocity, and time are all players in the game, but ultimately you'll end up where you are meant to be.

I guess what I want is...absolute time.

"Yyy Yeee Ye Yesss" Jacob stammers, satisfied.

I shrug as if I don't care.

I guess I have a secret...I think it's cool that he's going with me.

Authors Note: For all those music junkies, don't forget to check out the audio above! My playlist is lit <3 I hope you enjoyed this short chapter :) Do you like Jacob & Anna?