The Bear and the Book

Is the forest capable of driving you mad? I would have certainly said no, but I wasn't that sure anymore. As soon as we crossed the Aire River, my nerve tips seemed to have bared. Every sound and smell that reached me seemed overwhelming. I felt dizzy, sometimes even sick. A heavy burden seemed to press on my chest, making it hard for me to breathe. We were in the forest full of fresh air, so why was I suffocating? I found the gravest thoughts buzzing around my mind, although just an hour ago I was still quite positive about the chances of our success. I imagined the forest creatures from the old book look at me, trying to figure out how to drag me to their shelter, drown me or make me walk in circles forever. No matter how mildly mother had retold these stories to me, the older I grew, the more I realized that old tales were brutal. They certainly hadn't been written for children.

It turned out I was not the only one in low spirits. But unlike me, Mina had a specific explanation for our depressed mood.

"It's not us, it's the forest," she exclaimed cheerfully, although she looked pale. "Forest leads its own life, and its different parts have their own spirit. It is so powerful it can influence our mood and thoughts..."

Once again I couldn't help wondering where she had gotten all these ideas about the forest, and why she sounded so convinced of it. My thoughts kept returning to the floating flower wreath on the river. Did I just imagine it? If back there it was a beautiful and tranquil sight, now the memory of it made me feel sad. In my agitated mind, it symbolized all the things I had so suddenly lost. My childhood that had ended once my father stopped taking me to the forest, and ended once again when he forced me to participate in Sowing day. My beautiful and tender mother, who might not have been sincere with me - I might never see her again. I even missed Kyle and our secret morning walks. After all, he had done nothing wrong to me...

"...something happened in this area, something bad, and the ground soaked the energy..." Mina continued her story despite that I was distracted.

Out of nowhere, Kalista reappeared by our side, startling me. I thought she was already long way forward.

"I would say I don't know how you girls can stand each others company, being so superstitious..." her voice sounded painfully loud for my ears, "... if your theory wasn't true."

Both Mina and I looked at Kalista in surprise. What I didn't expect from her was any kind of approval. Like, at all. She didn't seem a supportive person.

"One of the battles of Creones and people of South villages took place right here," she said. "Well, not exactly, but this was where it started. The enemy waited for our troops in ambush and attacked as soon as we started to cross the river. Many people died that day," she gave Mina a meaningful look that acknowledged she was right.

Borgar had slowed his pace and also reappeared nearby.

"You speak as if you were there," I jumped up when I heard his voice. I could only be glad this time he wasn't talking to me. "Even I was an infant back then, and you were not born yet."

"But that's what we need history for, dear brother." She granted him her usual cunning smile. "The events are carefully documented by those who witnessed it, so that their heirs do not repeat their mistakes if they fail. And praise them, if they succeed."

I walked in silence for a moment, thinking that Kalista's words had truth to them. I believed in the power of the books. She was right to study the stories about the past; that was clearly her advantage in front of her brother. Borgar didn't look like he had read a single book in his life.

I cleared my throat.

"One should know his own past," perhaps I should have kept quiet, but Kalista's story caused in me the desire to think and share my own thoughts, "Our people also have the story of the Elder, who waited in ambush to defeat the enemy... Because of those who wrote it down, we all praise him for what he did..."