Zin - Chapter 4: Somewhere Over the Spiderweb

Earth...

My heartbeat pounded inside of my skull. Time became a collection of slow-moving images. The Imperator leaving the room--my departure from the Great Tree--the faces of millions of people, destined to outlast my race.

Mine would die at the hands of a ruthless leader, determined to destroy anyone that he didn't like.

I once yearned for my family. Now, I screamed for humanity--for each Earth-dweller that gave me reason to hope and dream. My heart became the weight of a planet as desperation stormed through my mind.

The last human. I will be the last. The last of all.

Could I let this world be the only one? Could I let myself live a life like this--a life where I was always alone?

The thought of another needle--another rip in my flesh--another stream of tears that would wash into a river I didn't belong to. I couldn't keep going like this.

I darted my eyes to either side of me before walking to a cliff near the Great Tree. It was a waterfall that led to the home of the Naiads. Wind fell against my hair--the air of change. I had breathed this same air for the first time many years ago. It brought back the greatest moments of my life.

I inhaled a deep breath. My feet entered the water, walking towards the edge of the precipice.

"It's the best way down." I said to myself.

Without a second thought, I jumped.

A hundred feet below, fingers sliced through water. My body rocketed into the lake, surprising mermaids on the way. This was the mysterious world of the woman I owed my life to.

"Xo." I said, appearing in a cave underneath of the cliff. I shook water from my face. There was an air pocket here where I could breath, "It's been so long since we've had a chance to really talk."

"And even longer in the life of a Naiad." she admitted, embracing me, "You haven't changed at all." Her aged features released a deep pain in my chest.

"Thank you." I replied, regretful. Elementals lived short lives compared to humans, averaging to a decade. It was the price for percieving things quicker.

She smiled, "To you, so little time has gone by, hasn't it? It must be so difficult."

I turned away from her.

"I've lived my life." she assured, "Please try your best to live yours for me. Promise me--You have a very important purpose."

"I will do my best." I replied.

"Good. You're here for something else, though." she decided. Her eyes lowered, "It's The Imperator."

"Yes. I need to leave today."

"You're right."

"It's the only choice." I said, "There won't be an Earth if I wait any longer--The Imperator has his mission set. The Exploration is ready to leave at sunrise. I know what I need to do."

"All of that is true... but the supporters will not be able to help you. You will have to do this alone."

"I know, but I have to try. Xo, you understand more than anyone."

"...I do."

"It doesn't make a difference to me." I replied, "If I can hijack the Exploration, the mission will be impossible. Eden can't get to Earth without it."

"But the security you would have to bypass? The Exploration is protected even more than the Great Tree."

"And is that any reason to stop me from trying?" I shook my head, "Xo, this life is death. I'd rather die than stay here."