IX

The bell rings, signaling the end of 5th hour and the start of my detention. Sighing, I walk up to the front of the classroom and plop my little booty down in the front seat. Ms. Martin glances up from her papers and smiles a little bit. She finishes what she's writing down and then leans back to look at me. She clears her throat and then speaks.

"So, you understand why you're here?" I just smile a little and nod. At first, I was embarrassed about it, but I'm over it and I couldn't care less that I have to be here. Well, I could care a little.

"Good." She pauses. "Now, I don't know what I should make you do, so let's talk. Nothing worse than having to talk to a teacher, right?" Her smile grows bigger.

"Actually, I quite enjoy your company." I pull out my phone to look at my texts. I got one from my sister telling me to call my mom and a missed call from my mom. I furrow my eyebrows. These came in about an hour ago. Why would they call me during school?

"Awe, you're so sweet." Adrianna says. I look up at her. I decided I'm comfortable enough to take a call in front of her.

"Hey, do you mind if I call my mom back?" A disapproving look comes over her face. "I promise it will be short but I missed a call from her and I just want to make sure she's okay."

"Okay. Go ahead." Adrianna goes back to her work while I dial my mom. She picks up on the first ring.

"Tatum?" She answers. I'm relieved to hear her voice.

"Hey mom. Is everything good?" There's silence for a second and then she's crying. This sends me into a panic. "Mom? Mom? What's wrong?" Adrianna has looked up with concern by now.

"Tatum, they did everything they could." I have no idea what she's talking about.

"Mom, where are you?"

"I'm at the hospital down the road from the high school." She says through her tears.

"Okay, I'm on my way. Stay there."

"T-" I hung up before she could say anything else. I run over to my chair and grab my bag. When I go to walk out of the room, Adrianna grabs my arm. I look up at her.

"Is everything ok?" She asks, obviously worried. By now, there are tears in my eyes. It could be anyone that this happened to. It could be Ty, my brother, my grandma, or Asher. Lord, I hope whoever it is they're okay, but by how my mom was acting, it didn't seem good.

"I have no idea, but I have to go to the hospital." She nods and grabs her stuff. I just look at her. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going with you. I can't let you go alone. That would be irresponsible. I'll just call in and say that there was an emergency." I nod and leave the room, with her trailing behind me. Once we're outside, I unlock my car and Adri hops in. I put my bag in the back and we sped down the road. I was going about 85. I felt a pressure on my thigh and tingles went up my spine. Glancing over, I saw that Adrianna had her eyes slammed shut and her hand was gripping my thigh really tightly. She probably didn't even realize she was doing it. I felt bad so I slowed down. When the car got back down to a decent speed, she instantly removed her hand. There was a longing in the pit of my stomach that I wish would go away.

"Sorry," My teacher says while clearing her throat. I turn into the parking lot and park in the only parking spot available.

"It's fine. Didn't mean to scare you," I apologize. Throwing my car into park and yanking the keys out of the ignition, I climb out and start jogging to the entrance. My phone is vibrating in my back pocket and I answer it.