Chapter 10

Duncan's P.O.V.

It's been a really long week because I've been waiting for Friday to come around so I can build the mini halfpipe with Grandpa Earl and Carter. I haven't done any projects with Grandpa Earl lately because we live a little farther away than before and because I've had school.

"How come the baby doesn't have to go to school but we do?" Grant whined to Carter as he walked into the kitchen.
"You say I'm the baby and yet you're the one whining!" I said turning to Grant.
"Do you want to die?" He asked towering over me.
"Grant, stop. Nobody's dying. Duncan is not a baby. He has to go help Grandpa Earl with something." Carter told Grant.

"But why can't I help? I have pythons and he has gummy worms!" Grant said holding up my arms and flopping them around.
"Dude, shut up." I told him yanking my arms out of his grip.
"It's not about strength, Grant. He's more experienced in what we're doing." Carter explained.
"Whatever." Grant sighed walking out of the kitchen.
"Sorry about him. He just wants to get out of school." Carter said.
"It's fine. I understand." I replied.

Nolan came into the kitchen and walked over to the fridge. He grabbed an apple and a water out of the fridge.
"Bye dad. Bye Dunn." He said ruffling my hair as he walked past me.
"Bye." Carter and I both replied.
"At least one of them has taken a liking to you." Carter laughed.
I laughed and Cooper came into the kitchen.

"Bye dad. Bye D." He said grabbing a Gatorade out of the fridge.
"Bye." Carter replied.
"Bye Coop." I replied.
Cooper smiled slightly and walked out of the kitchen. We heard the front door shut and Carter said "So how about we do something fun before Grandpa Earl gets here?"
"Depends on how much time we have. When is he coming?" I asked.
"Well it's 7:25 and he's coming here at 9:30, so we have a solid two hours to do something." Carter answered checking his watch.

I nodded and said "We could go get a puppy?"
Carter laughed and said "One thing at a time, D. We'll have to wait awhile on that."
I sighed and said "We could go get breakfast?"
"Sure. Where do you want to go?" Carter asked.
"Cold Stone." I answered.

"Duncan, we can't have ice cream for breakfast. Your mother would kill me if I let you have ice cream for breakfast." Carter replied.
"She can't kill you if she doesn't find out." I smirked.
He leanest against the counter and said "Is that where you really want to go?"
I nodded my head and he said "Okay. Then let's go. But we're getting you a hash brown from McDonald's first."
"Yes! Thanks Carter!" I exclaimed.
He laughed and grabbed his keys off of the counter. We walked out of the house and Carter locked it. He unlocked his truck and I got in the front seat.

He started the truck as I put my seatbelt on and we started driving.
"So what's your favourite thing to do?" He asked me.
"Build things. Whether it's out of Lego or wood. I just like building things. But I really like carpentry." I answered.
"Cool. Is that what you want to be when you grow up? A carpenter?" He replied.
"Yeah. Well I really like music too so I want to get involved with the music industry. So possibly a music producer or just somebody who does all the tech stuff. Those are some of the most important people in the music industry. And if those jobs don't work out, I want to have a job where I'm helping somebody. Wether it's just talking to people to make their day better or helping them in a bigger way." I told him.

"That's great. Cooper doesn't even know what he wants to do." Carter said.
He pulled into the McDonald's drive thru and got my hash brown. I ate my hash brown on the way to Cold Stone and we pulled into the Cold Stone parking lot. We got it and got our ice cream. I got Moose Tracks and Carter got Cookie Dough. We sat at a table and talked while we ate our ice cream. While we were talking, this older lady kept looking over at us and smiling to her friend. I kind of ignored it and once we were done, we talked for a little longer and the lady who was staring at us got up to leave. She walked over to us and said "I hate to interrupt but, you're son and you look so cute together." I didn't want to correct her and seem rude so I waited for Carter to address it. But he never did.
"Thank you." Carter said.
"You're welcome." She replied leaving.