agape - chapter 2

I look over at Victor who is lacing up his skates on the bench next to me. The threads slip through his fingers like silk and knot up at the end. A perfect bow, it's clear he's done this hundreds of times. I smile at him softly and he looks up at me almost as if he knew I was looking. He returns a warm smile and it makes me chuckle.

"What are you laughing at yuri?" he asks me, the smile not leaving his face even for one second as his sapphire eyes continue to wash over mine.

"Oh, nothing," I reply and tie the last knot in my own laces before look back up at him. "It's just how you tie your laces"

"What about my tying my laces is amusing to you?" He chuckles.

"You seem to have quite the experience, Vitya" I say getting up and breaking the moment. "You ready to start practice?"

"Yeah" he gets up and we walk over to the rink together. I don't know why but this man truly means the world to me. Actually, I do know why, my idol came to coach me and said he was inspired by a video of me skating! This is truly a dream come true.

We skate for a while before wrapping things up and getting ready to go back home. Hours have melted away on that rink and it seems like just a few minutes.

"Yuri," Victor says. He is watching my every move as I untie my laces. I can tell this isn't going to be a good conversation before I even carry on. His voice is stern and I can't seem to bring myself to look at him. His gaze heating up my back as my face slowly goes bright red along with it.

"Y..yeah, Victor." I reply. He can sense the unease in my voice as I speak. I'm not exactly doing the best job at hiding it.

"Yuri you seemed a bit off in practice today. Is there anything you would like to tell me? As your coach I need to know if there is something wrong so I can help" He seems really concerned at this point. "I want to help you, Yuri" I understand he wants to help and all but I honestly don't know myself. I tried to pass it off as my happiness for Victor being here with me but I guess that didn't work.

"Victor I..." I don't know how to describe this feeling to him, it's not exactly something I can put into words.

"Yuri, please I just want to help"

"I have this weird feeling and for some reason it only happens when I am around you" my mouth quickly splurts out before I can stop it. Welp now the truth is out there for everyone within close proximity to twist and turn to their liking. Victor's face lights up and his expression turns from concerned  to not giving a care in the world.

"Come on, let's go back to the hotel, we can talk about this on the way.

I nod my head in agreement and we both stand up in unison as head for the door. I can't help but think I have said something I shouldn't have. These are my feelings and I want to understand them in any way I possibly can... Why is this so funny to Victor? Why is this anything that I should be ashamed of? What is this feeling?! Once again my mind is flooded with questions I myself can't answer. However, this time, there may be someone who can answer them for me. The pebbles under my feet crunch lightly and the silence is broken by the song of Victor's voice in the air.

"So, Yuri, tell me more about this feeling you are having. I want to make sure my prediction is right" Wow, he really has taken this to heart. Victor can be so caring sometimes and to think he already has it all planned out is a little too much for the person who doesn't have one clue theirselves.

"Victor I don't understand this, it only happens when I'm around you but I shouldn't be nervous. We have gone through so much and I feel comfortable with things how they are so It shouldn't be like this." I explain

"That's it Yuri, that's exactly what it is," my head tilts to the side like a confused puppy as I stop and look Victor in the eyes "It's just what I thought."