Chapter III

"What's that guy's name again? Todd?" Matt asked, his arm around Edd as they both sat on the couch, watching Tom practice sparring with an imaginary foe using his harpoon.

"Tord," Tom corrected him, slashing the harpoon in different directions.

"I dunno, Tom. Trusting new people that easily, especially at times like this, is quite dangerous..." Edd said, his gaze clouded with worry as he watched Tom.

"I know, Edd," Tom sighed as he strapped the harpoon to his hip, "But Tord is different, I can feel it."

"Well, last time you felt something, it ended badly," Edd protested.

"Yea, whatever," Tom rolled his eyes.

Edd sighed and got up, walking into the kitchen and pouring a can of cola into a tall glass.

"Edd!" Tom's panicked sounded from the living room, followed by a crash.

Edd wasted no time in rushing to see the situation, only to find Tom running in circles as Matt chased him with a makeup bag in his hands.

"But Tim! You have to look perfect for Todd!" Matt protested.

"Tom!" Tom stopped and stomped his foot in anger as he corrected his friend, making Matt crash into him from behind.

Edd groaned as he watched the two untangle, "Guys, seriously! What are you, six?"

"On a scale of one to five, yea-" Matt started, only to be cut off by Tom smacking him in the back of his head. Matt yelped and covered his eyes. Tom jumped to his feet as he glanced at his watch.

"I'd better get going. It's almost eight."

"Bye, Tom," Edd gasped out of breath as he helped Matt up, later walking Tom to their bulletproof, lead door. Tom was about to leave when Edd grabbed his hood and brought their faces closer and whispered,

"Please come back,"

After letting go of Tom and closing the door shut. Tom sighed as he walked and repeated Edd's words in his head: Please come back. 

Was Edd really that worried about Tom? Or was there something he was hiding?

----

Tom found Tord sitting in the clearing already, his back facing Tom and his fingers in the small stream. Tom's eyes lingered on Tord for a moment, he even had the thought of taking a photo of Tord on his old-fashioned camera. Tom cleared his throat and Tord slowly turned to him, smiling. Tord patted the ground next to him, signaling Tom to sit down there, which he did.

After about ten minutes of idle talk and Tom sharing about Edd and Matt with Tord, (which Tord seemed very uninterested about, mind you), the two had finally gone quiet, quietly sitting together in the dark clearing, only illuminated by the pathetic light of the moon shining through the opening in the branch 'wall'. Tord was humming softly, his head resting against Tom's shoulder, a generic romantic move. Tom wondered what Tord was thinking at this moment. Did he just rest his head on Tom's shoulder for support? Or maybe he was tired, sleepy? Or... Did Tord feel anything for Tom? Tom shrugged unwillingly, and Tord jumped at his sudden movement. 

"Sorry," Tom snickered. 

Tord stuck his tongue out at Tom. After a while of silence, Tord spoke first:

"Say, Thomas, do you have any... plans for your future?"

"Not really. I mean most of them got destroyed along with the rest of the planet, so..." Tom shrugged again.

Tord frowned, "So, nothing?"

Tom shook his head, "Well, do you have something in mind?"

Tord was silent for a moment, he seemed to be thinking. Then he whistled and looked a different direction. Tom shrugged and allowed Tord to be mysterious. Tom suddenly felt Tord take his hand in Tord's, curling their fingers together, followed by resting his head on Tom's shoulder again. Tom sighed and closed his eyes, sleep slowly draining the rest of his energy. That was the last thing he remembered that night.