Chapter IV

Tom woke due to an annoying, thin ray of light shining right on his face. Before he had the chance to realize where he was, Tom felt a slight pressure on his chest, later to find Tord lying down beside him, his arm wrapped around Tom's chest, still asleep.

Tom sighed. This was the best sleep he had gotten since after the apocalypse, not once waking in the night.

As much as he wanted to get up, Tom couldn't get himself to even slightly disturb Tord's sleep, so he lied back down, ignoring the rays of light blinding him, his trouble breathing because of Tord's heavy arm, and his numb arm that had served as Tord's pillow the whole night.

After about five minutes, Tom felt Tord stirring. Tord slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes and yawning. He looked over at Tom and smiled.

Tom tried his best not to laugh at Tord's appearance - his droopy eyes, still sleepy, his hair, which was matted and stuck up in every direction possible, and his black tee that was falling off his left shoulder.

Tord stretched before lying back down, facing Tom, placing his palm on Tom's chest again.

"Good morning, Thomas," Tord said, his voice deepened and hoarse.

"Mornin', sunshine lollipops. Awake at last?" Tom couldn't help but use his new nickname for Tord, one he had made up the second after Tord had told him that Sunshine Lollipops was his least favorite and absolutely hated song and tune the other day.

Tord let out an insulted huff and turned away, dragging his arm off Tom's chest. Tom found himself smiling. Not just smiling, grinning. Not from anything materially, but just because he was happy. He realized he had never felt this way. Had Tom felt like this before the apocalypse, he wouldn't have believed himself, scolded himself, and drink a bottle of Smirnoff to forget about it. But with Tord, he let it slide; savoring the feeling. Tom felt himself doze off again, that was until he heard a loud static sound, later realizing it was coming from Tord's walkie-talkie, lying a few inches away from Tord. Tom sat up and watched Tord groan as he heard a voice coming from the walkie-talkie:

"Red- static Red Leader, permission to request your- static location, over! "

"Permission denied, soldier, over," Tord said in a monotone voice, he then nervously looked over at Tom and chuckled,

"Nicknames, am I right?"