Chapter V

{{A.N: I just realized I haven't been uploading these chapters. Please excuse my stupidity.}}

Tom

"Still not 'gonna tell me what that call was all about?" Tom questioned Tord, walking alongside his new companion as he hacked the leaves in their way.

If Tord heard him, he pretended not to, and Tom wasn't a pusher. If he couldn't persuade someone to do something from the first few tries, he didn't bother to do so anymore.

Tord

Tord looked down in shame from keeping the earlier caller's identity a secret.

I met him less than a week ago; I'm not entitled to him. It's my choice whether I tell him my personal facts or don't - It's not like he's my friend. Right? Tord's thoughts raced at paces he couldn't catch up with. He had completely zoned out, oblivious to the abnormally large thorn bushes in front of him.

A sudden force pushed Tord, making him stumble and fall backward on his rear. His head felt dizzy.

"Wh-" He began, still confused.

"Sorry!" Tom rushed to Tord and helped him up, "You weren't looking where you were going, you'd have crashed into that-" Tom pointed and waved his hand in circles at the thorn bush, "Whatever that is."

It took a moment for Tord to process the information.

"Oh... Oh! Th-thank you..." Tord came to a realization and said his thanks.

Tom grunted something that could, or couldn't, have been you're welcome.

Tom continued walking again, leaving Tord to catch up with him.

Tom

Tom had lost track of how long he and Tord had walked, but he assumed it was somewhere around an hour. Tom's eyes, if you'll allow me to call them that, fixed themselves on a path in the distance, one he'd recognized instantly. If we continue on that path, Tom figured, we'll reach our safehouse in another hour.

A thought or two crossed might've crossed Tom's mind, telling him that he shouldn't lead someone who was practically a stranger to him to his safehouse, and even Tom had thought of that, he did a good job ignoring it.

I should introduce Tord to Edd and Matt.

Tord

"Say Tord." 

 Tord turned to face Tom, "Hm?"

"How'd you like the idea of meeting my friends?" Tom offered.

Tord hesitated, and Tom seemed to have noticed,

"It's okay if you don't want to!" Tom was quick to inform Tord that it was up to him.

Should I trust him? I have taken quite a liking to him, yes, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be willing to lead me into a trap, Tord figured. It's possible he could even be a cannibal! Tord shuddered at the thought. He'd come across quite a few people with cannibal traditions, but something about Tom made Tord sure he could trust him.

Maybe it was the way Tom looked Tord in the eyes, how he seemed to fix his gaze so firmly and intently, that Tord had to look away, frightened that Tom could read his thoughts if he looked him in the eyes.

If there was anybody who felt lost, they'd find shelter in Tom's gaze, Tord mused, then felt like hitting himself, hard. Right in the jaw. I shouldn't be having useless thoughts like this! I'm the goddamn-

Tord's thoughts came to a halt as his eyes widened at the sight he saw. Tom was walking forward but looking up, oblivious to the metal trap a couple of steps before him that he was about to step onto.

"Tom!"

Tom

Tord's warning came too late. Before Tom was able to even turn to Tord, he felt a sharp pain in his right foot. He tried to yelp, but only let out a choke. He looked down to see a metal, jaw-like trap fastened firmly around his boot, piercing through the thick leather and reaching his flesh. Blood pooled from the wounds and was visibly seeping into his boot and leaking from the pores of the leather.

The sight was something you'd see in one of those horror films, full of bloody scenes and making you squirm in disgust, maybe even giving a gag reflex to the weak-nerved.

Tom tried to focus, but he didn't know what to focus on. His head hurt and he felt as if he would regurgitate any second now. The surroundings spun around him as objects duplicated and blurred themselves. Tom's eyelids fluttered and finally closed as he fell backward, having someone catch him in their arms.

He could only feel the numbing pain of his injury and an accented voice repeating his name.