author's note

Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry. Some may even prefer to call it a genre, but certainly all can agree that haiku are beautiful pieces.

Traditionally in English-speaking countries, we are taught that haiku is written with 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the last.

However, in Japan, it is not the syllables that one counts - rather, it is the sounds. Therefore, I may write a piece that is surely 17 syllables in English, but may be far more in Japanese - so many that I may have accidentally written two haiku instead of one.

As I am writing this, on January 31st 2018, whilst I understand this, I have not yet learnt enough to implement it. For this reason, I am treating the next month of February as a month to experiment with haiku, a form which I personally find very pleasing, and learn more about it.

When I post my haiku of the day, I may add a little note underneath it - about its composition, its basis/inspiration, or a reflection on what I have learnt through writing it or about haiku as a whole.

I hope that you will enjoy reading this Wattpad book of haiku, moments of the day, and that you will be able to learn about haiku alongside me!