Present Day

I guess writing everything down like this is a way of keeping track of everything that's happen, the people I've lost, the things I've seen and had to do. It's like recording history but a therapy session thrown on top, i have so many questions that i will probably never find the answer to. My food stock is getting low so I'm heading out tomorrow, not just for food but water and hopefully i can find a better place to stay. This little unit is doing well but I feel like it won't last forever. It's been a good place to call home after all the years I've spent in it. I saw the neighbors today... I hate what this world has come to and for all I know it's just me. I don't know who else is left or even if it's safe to go outside but I need supplies, I hope that there is someone out there and not just one but many because together we are stronger against those... whatever you want to call them.

I grabbed my bag and began searching for my knife, I pulled it out and as I hold it close to my face I sit and admire. I pull it out of its cover "my beautiful kaoon," I think to myself I always loved the black blade and the dark brown wooden handle that was carved so perfectly but deep down I wish I wouldn't have to use it, not again I couldn't handle killing people "but their not people anymore" I tell myself. I stand up shoving the knife back in its cover and sliding it into my back pocket, I grab the last bottle of water I have and stuff all the food into a lunch bag. I glance at the lunch bag full of food and wonder how it ever came to this, Ive search every house and store within walking distance and this small lunch bag was all I had left. I grab my suit case out of my cupboard and throw all of my clothes in including socks underwear jumpers and dresses, I figured anything and everything could help. I turn to my dresser to see a picture of my partner and I, both smiling and the summer sunlight blazing down on our faces. I pick it up and turn it over to see the back, I take the picture out of it's frame and place it into my bag. I always try so hard not to think of him, the first guy who actually felt the same way about me and he was torn apart, I mean literally torn apart. I grab my car keys and stuff them into the opposite pocket of my knife I turn and glance all over to see if I would take anything else. I grab my phone and charger and place them in my bag, I head out to the back yard to see what tools I have laying around. I pick up a few screw drivers and a hammer, I place them on the wooden bench behind me and walk over to my spare car parts. I grab a gas can and a funnel "I'm missing something" I think to myself I look around and see exactly what I was missing a piece of hose. I tape the hose and funnel together and place them on the wooden bench with the rest of the tools. I look around again and I'm satisfied there's nothing else of importance to me. I head back to my bedroom and place all the tools I just grabbed in a plastic bag, I put my shoes on and grab my smokes and zippo lighter and throw them into my bag I look around again and embrace the room I lived in for so many years, I look around and smile as tears flood my eyes while I think of all the memories I've had in this room. I grab my keys out of my pocket and head for my car.

I have always loved this car I spent hours writing and drawing all over it because I wanted a custom paint job, I loved the silver fainted paint and if you ask me it's the cutest Hyundai excel I've ever seen. I put the clutch in and start the car, I put my seat belt on and take one last look around me. "I'm leaving" I tell myself, I put the car in gear and let off the clutch and accelerate I turn right on to the highway with already making my mind up that I wanted to head south but first I had to make one stop. I turn left into the car park for the servo I park the car right out front and cut the engine. I peek inside to see if anything is moving but I couldn't see anything I look around the car park and still I can't see anything. "Something's not right where are they?" I think to myself while searching the area around me, I grab my knife out of my back pocket forgetting that I had put it there I take it out of its case and I open my car door to step out. I close the door behind me but I don't lock it I walk up to the entrance of the service station and peer in, empty. I push on the door hoping it will open but it won't budge I sigh and take a step back and look all around. "A way in through the roof? A ladder? A back door?" I kept scanning through ideas in my head as I walked along side the building, a petrol tank sat abandoned but something tells me it was still full as I neared the back of the store I could smell a horrible stench it smelt like those things. I flattened myself again the wall gripping my knife in my hand and slowly moved forward, I peered around the corner only to find a rubbish bin and a few old cars but that still didn't explain what that horrible smell is. I kept walking with my back against the wall and slowly stepped forward I looked around to make sure the cost was clear and as I neared the next corner the smell got stronger it smelt as if I was getting closer to the source. I peered around the last corner there was blood everywhere I could hear the bussing from the flys. I looked around confused as to what was happening I kneeled down and placed my finger tips in the blood it had a trail so I followed it. I stopped dead in my tracks when I realised what I was looking at. It was a pile of people. Dead people. All laying over each other in no pattern, the smell was unbearable and the more I looked the worst it got I realised there was a young girl in the pile she looked younger then me I stepped forward to get a closer look, she was Asian she looked to be only 11 or 12 her beautiful long black hair platted which was now messy and falling out her pale skin was covered in dirt and her eyes stayed close. She was the most in contact body there. It was hard to believe she was dead. She appeared so lively, I placed my finger tips on the side of her cheek and think of how she ended up here in this pile of bodies that had no reason being here. Her skin was cold as ice and she laid with her arm under her head sticking out of the other bodies. I couldn't see the rest of her so anyone could imagine how she ended up here. I turn to look around and as I look back at the young girl I realise her bright green eyes are now open. I scream and leap back as the young girl growls and screeches trying to reach me but unable to move due to the other bodies. I realise she was one of them, I stood back up and got my knife ready. I placed it on her forehead and looked her in the eyes keeping her one arm under my knee so she was unable to touch or reach me. "I'm sorry you ended up here, like this but your going to be happy now," I say as I force the knife through her skull and killing her instantly.

I walk back to the front of the servo still with the same problem of how to get in. "Screw drivers" I think to myself. I go to my car and grab the plastic bag full of tools and grab out a Star head screw driver I close the car door and go back to the front door of the servo and start unscrewing the door handle. I get the handle off and the door swings open, I grab my knife again I bang on the door to make a loud noise. If there's anything I have learnt these last 2 months, it's that whatever these things are. Their attracted to noise, I wait for a few minutes and nothing happens. I enter the servo and go straight behind the counter and turn on the fuel pumps. I then grab as many plastic bags as I possibly can and head over to the fridges and start stuffing the bags full of water, I take all of the water and decide a few soft drinks wouldn't hurt and grabbed a few bottles of coke. I go to the car and open the door I lean in and pull the seat forward so the back seat is accessible I put the plastic bag full of drinks on the back seat and go back into the store, I grab another plastic bag and fill it full of canned food and packets of chips I put the bag in the back on the floor I walk back into the servo and grab 2 fuel cans I head out to the car park and place the fuel cans on the floor and stop when I hear something been kicked along the floor. I look around putting my knife up to defend myself but see nothing, I fill the fuel cans up and put them in the boot of my car and then jump into my car to move it closer to the fuel pump I get out of the car and fill my car up as well. "Should be plenty to get me where I wanna go," I smile thinking to myself about the prison located just outside of town I put my fuel cap back on my car and close it. I put my elbows on the roof of my car and think to myself "I need more then just a knife to empty out a prison full of monsters I need something more powerful maybe the police station has an armoury," I take a breath in and look around and then it goes black.