Chapter 22

(Sam)

"Well?" I ask, looking impatiently at him.

"I-uh-I-mean...ugh!" Luke stammers, before storming to his room.

"He likes her." Dad smiles and walks away.

I look around. No one seemed to be anywhere I could see. Shrugging, I head back to my room. But just as I reach for the door handle, my head aches as something comes into my vision and disappears.

"Crap!" I snarl, trying to remember the image as I scramble for my paints.

Finding an open spot on the wall, I begin to sketch, not caring how much paint I spill.

***

"Done." I say out loud as I step back from the wall.

It was a tribal style dragon curled in a circle, with its claws outstretched as if its fighting something.

"Huh, that's-"

I hear a faint click of feet on the tile in the kitchen, completely drawing all my attention. Shifting, I quickly stalk towards the sound, listening as the already quiet footsteps become nearly mute. I reach the balconey that I normally spy on people. I wait in silence as I pinpoint the sound. Almost ten feet away, right next to the couch.

With a loud snarl I launch, landing on my target with surgical precision. As I wrap my jaws around the human form I'm met with a hard fist to the nose along with sharp jabs to the chest, which still hurt from my encounter with the rouges. I rear up onto my hind-legs, which puts me around thirteen feet tall at the tip of the ears.

"Holy shit!" The man shrieks, revealing a set of wicked fangs.

Vampires? Why do I always have to be the one to deal with vampires?!

I feel a deep growl erupt from my chest as I come slamming down on top of him. He gives me nasty hiss, then uses his leg to push me off and sends me spinning into the table, smashing it to pieces. I get up and shake myself off before tearing after the lone pyre. Vases break and things get ripped and torn as we chase through the halls.

I start to gain on him as we double back to the living room. In three bounds I jump, laying him flat on his back. I open my mouth to attack but he reachs up and uses a small dagger to slice my stitches apart on my eye. I pull my head back as blood clouds my vision. I feel a heavy right hook to the side of the head, basically knocking me out.

"Sam!" I hear Dad yell as the pyre pushes me off and onto the ground.

"Gordon? What the hell are you doing here? What the hell happened to my house? What did you do to Sammantha?"

"Sammantha?! That's Sammantha?!" The pyre, Gordon, asks hastily.

"Yes..." I say, getting up and spitting the blood from my mouth.

"I-I didn't know! I didn't mean too, it's just with the cut and everything...I almost thought she was...."

"Almost thought I was who?" I demand.

"Sam..."

"Sam? I am Sam."

"He goes by Seth now." Dad says mindlessly, staring off into the distance.

***

"It's Sam! Sam is part of that pack!" I hear my mother's voice yell as Dad tries to force Scar and I into the closet.

"Daddy who is Sam?" I ask.

"Not now Sammantha." Mom says back, getting inside the closet with us just as a loud crash sounds.