A Traditional Twist (Diaval + Aurora One-Shot)

• Dedicated to Dauroraval shippers everywhere

Diaval was glad Maleficent had forgotten to change him back into a raven. She usually did when she didn't need him in his human form, but it wasn't surprising that she hadn't been paying attention to him. More important matters were at hand.

But for some reason the matter of being human was on Diaval's mind as he watched the young and handsome Prince Phillip lean over the bed where Princess Aurora lay in her enchanted sleep. Diaval would never admit it to Maleficent, but he liked being a human more than he liked being in any other form- even more than a raven. Humans could feel such a wide range of emotions, most of which beasts could only feel to some extent.

Like the one Diaval was feeling right then- he had never felt anything like it before. It was like yearning, frustration, and sadness all at once.

And then Phillip kissed her. Diaval caught his breath. Suddenly only one emotion weighed on his chest, and that was despair. For whether Aurora awoke by the kiss or stayed in her deep slumber would be a worthy reason for despondency.

Phillip lifted his head and stared at Aurora. Maleficent clenched her hands in front of her heart, her lips pursed and her eyes wide as she watched the scene.

Diaval couldn't bear to watch, however. He lowered his head and closed his eyes.

But there was only silence. Finally, the three fairies, Aurora's "aunties", began crying out in disappointment. Diaval looked up in time to see them rushing the Prince from the room, shutting the door behind them. He looked at Maleficent and saw her big eyes filling with tears. She stepped out from behind the screen and Diaval slowly followed, his mind racing as he comprehended what had happened.

The Prince's kiss hadn't worked. It wasn't True Love's kiss.

Diaval stopped a few paces away from the bed. Maleficent went and stood next to her and began to talk aloud, but Diaval didn't really hear her. His mind was full of Aurora. She was so beautiful and full of happiness, like the fairies had said she would be. Diaval had watched her grow up and been her friend, though in recent years he had hoped she maybe thought of him as more. He had always been too shy to really express to her how he felt, and he didn't want to tell Maleficent, so he kept it a secret. He loved her. She was so peaceful and full of life. But she was a Princess, anyway. What could he possibly mean to her? And she loved fairies and had met so many magical, friendly, and handsome beings in her time. How could Diaval possibly compete?

He couldn't help but wonder hopefully as he stared at the Princess's winsome face. But his dreamy thoughts were interrupted by Maleficent, who finished speaking and lightly kissed Aurora's forehead. As she walked away, leaving Aurora basking in the chilling gray light, Diaval fully grasped the consequences of the Curse.

Aurora would never awaken. She would never get to see the beautiful places and people she loved ever again.

Unless...

"Come on, Diaval," Maleficent said, her voice tight with pain. "There is nothing else to be done here."

She walked past him, but Diaval didn't follow. He heard Maleficent stop by the door.

"Come on, Diaval!" she said, harshly. Diaval turned to face her. He considered what he was about to do and he felt as if his heart had wings.

Maleficent glared at him with her shining green eyes, and then raised her fingers. He knew what that meant.

"Wait, Maleficent!" he said, holding up his hands. "Please, wait!"

To his surprise, she paused.

"We must go before the King finds us here," she said, lowering her hand. "What is it?"

"I..." Diaval took a deep breath, struggling for words. "I... I want to kiss her."

Maleficent stared at him.

"You want to... what?" she said in a low voice.

"Look, I know you think I'm just a raven," Diaval said, taking a step backward. "But on the day you changed me into a man for the first time, I became more than that, didn't I?"

She was silent.

"You made me what I am now so I could help you," Diaval finished. "Maybe I can help her now."

Maleficent laughed, bitterly.

"True Love doesn't exist, Diaval," she said, fiercely, though tears ran down her cheeks. "I've told you that before."

"I know, I heard you," he said. "But if anyone has loved her truly, Maleficent..." he turned to face Aurora. "It's me, I think."

He stared at her, overwhelmed once again by the Sleeping Beauty.

"Please, let me try," he said, looking over his shoulder at her.

Maleficent avoided his gaze.

"Go ahead. I care not. Just be quick about it, we need to leave."

And then she turned and exited the room, leaving the doors flung open.

Diaval nodded, though she couldn't see, and then turned back toward Aurora. He walked around the bed to the side where she lay. As he came to stand beside her, his shadow blocked the light from her face.

"Well, Aurora," he whispered, brushing aside a strand of her white blond hair. "What do you think, hm? She thinks True Love doesn't exist. I'm not entirely sure I agree with her, though." He gently ran his fingers down her cheek. "Maybe we'll prove her wrong today."

Their noses were only inches apart. He looked at her closed eyelids and sighed.

"Let's see those beautiful blue eyes again, what do you say, Aurora?" he whispered with a quick smile.

And then, taking a deep breath, he kissed her lips gently.

After a moment, he separated from her. The sun had begun to set and it's intense orange rays pierced through the gloom, illuminating the chamber. Diaval gazed at Aurora's face expectantly, his heart pounding.

But the minute passed by and she didn't stir.

Despair won out.

Diaval collapsed to his knees.

And he realized Maleficent was right. True Love didn't exist. Aurora would never awaken.

Tears filled his eyes.

"I... I had hoped that we... that maybe I..." he couldn't finish. He leaned onto the mattress and folded his arms over his head, allowing himself to cry miserably.

But the tears didn't last for long. His eyes soon began to dry and he remembered Maleficent. He had to go to her. But he couldn't seem to find the strength to stand or even look up. So he sat there motionlessly.

"Poor Aurora," he sobbed softly into the blankets.

But then he felt a hand on top of his head. He froze. The fingers moved down and petted his hair, gently, and he heard a soft sigh.

Diaval barely dared to hope as he slowly raised his head.

Aurora giggled sweetly, her bright blue eyes sparkling.

"Hello, pretty bird."