P R O L O G U E.

"note to self: stay true to self"

Freshman year, high school. Melanie honestly didn't know what to expect. She wasn't the most popular or social person in the world. But she has a great personality and is probably one of the smartest people you know.

She walked into Staten Island High School with her schedule in hand. She looked around at all the students talking to their friends catching up from the summer.

She quietly took a seat on the a bench in the breezeway of the school.

"Hey, can I sit here?" She looked up from her phone to see a slightly tall brown skin boy with his hat down over his eyes.

"Yeah sure." She said before moving her bag. She continued to scroll down twitter on her phone occasionally laughing at a video or tweet.

The bell rang and she got up to head to her first class of high school.

"You have a nice day." She said to the boy who sat quietly beside her.

"Yeah, you too" He said before smiling slightly

School was school and she walked her normal way home after her last class. When she reached the end of her street the bus had reached there too. She seen the same guy from earlier exit the bus and walk in the opposite direction of her house. She didn't mind it and went home to call it a day.

"How was your first day honey?" Her mother said to her as she grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"It was fine. My classes aren't hard so I'm expecting it to be a good year" Melanie said as she plopped on the couch

"You make any friends?" Melanie rolled her eyes before answering.

"Not really. I let a guy sit beside me. I told him to have a nice day before I left." Her mother laughed.

"Honey. You need to make some real friends. It's high school! I want you to have fun."

" I will mom. I just want to focus on myself for now"

The next day at school she did the same routine. As she zone out into her phone she heard the same voice from yesterday.

"Can I sit here?"

"Oh sure." She shortly responded before moving her bag and looking back at her phone. She would see him glance at her every once in a while from the corner of her eye but she didn't say anything.

The bell rang and she went to class as did he.

Weeks went by and every day he asked to sit beside her. She didn't know his name but she knew that he must've liked the same bench she did. One day she decided to say something

"Hey, can I sit here?" She looked up and smiled

"Yeah sure. Maybe I should quit putting my bag here" He smiled a little

"Yeah I was wondering how long it was gonna take to realize this is going to be an every day thing. So get used to seeing me." He said jokingly

"And you'll be seeing me everyday. I don't like waiting for class in the cafeteria. It's too loud in there." She said now turning to face him

"Me either. I'm a more laid back to myself type of person." He said also turning to face her.

"What's your name?" Melanie said changing the subject

"Bryson Tiller. What's your name?"

"I'm Melanie Jones"

"Nice to actually meet you Melanie."