22: Silent Wounds

I was laughing and walked into my room, where Mr. Baker was trying to sleep. I walk over to the bed and sit down, beside him.

"Hey, babe, Slim and I are gonna go pick up Mae, from Tasha's place." I say in a low, calm voice.

"Okay. I love you." He mumbles sleepily.

"I love you too." I smile and give him a soft kiss on the cheek.

I get up and grab my phone, then head to the door. I walk down the stairs putting my phone in my bra.

"Ready?" Slim asked, as he clinked the keys in his hand.

"Yeah. Tash said that we can just use their car seat." I say, walking out the door as he holds it open for me.

"Think she'll like her new room?" Slim asks.

"I hope so. I put a lot of money and work into that." I chuckled a little as we both walked to the car.

"Kells sleeping?" Slim asked as we got into the car.

"Yeah. I think he has a headache. Either way he isn't feeling well." I inform.

He starts the car up and we start heading over there. Slim hasn't really spent that much time with Mae. I smile looking at him. He was my best friend. I mean I know he was Mr. Baker's best friend first, but he was my best friend too. The most trustworthy anyway.

We started singing along to the radio and laughing at one another. We were on a back road so it's not like we would be hurting anyone or annoying them.

"Sing it, Slim." I laughed as we sang out.

I looked out my window and sang and then turned my head towards him and froze.

"Slim, look out!" I shouted.

It felt like a slow motion scene.

This giant semi truck rammed into us. I felt my heart drop and race just from the sound. The truck sped away afterwards, like it meant to hit us.

I watched as the tumbling car yanked Slim and I around. The windows shattering, broken glass cutting out skin.

I had been through this once. My best friend was in the car. I couldn't save him either. Nothing could hurt me more than that.

I tried to hold onto Slim, but eventually I lost consciousness and ended up letting go.

I feel a cold breeze and a sharp pain. I groan and wake up. I look around and see Slim missing. I started to panic.

The car was turned upside down, down a hill. I tried to get my seatbelt off, but there was something on the part that clicked.

I start to almost cry as I began to dig through the areas I could reach, looking for something to cut it. I found a pocket knife, in the glove box and used that.

It took me a couple minutes to cut it. I eventually did and crawled out the broken window. The broken glass scratched new wounds into my skin. I stood up and looked around frantically.

I spotted him a couple yards away. I saw him covered in blood. He wasn't moving from what I could see.

"S-Slim!" I yelled, as I ran to him, stumbling a few times. "Slim..."

I knelt beside him and lifted his shirt up. He had a shard of glass in his stomach. I knew I couldn't move it.

I looked up at his face. And tried to wake him up. He stirred for a moment and slowly opened his eyes. Blood was coming out of his mouth.