| Prologue |

Witches of Salem were particularly feared. Given the ability to control anyone they chose, the Town was constantly on alert, the Lookouts watching through the dark with their sharp eyes, the Spies camping outside homes. When a Witch was tracked down, it was lynched alongside the others accused that day.

Trinity Everridge never wanted to be the daughter of a Witch. All the nine-year-old girl wanted was to go to school and make friends with the Town. Her parents had relented and allowed Trinity to attend Town of Salem School, posing as the daughter of an Investigator. Trinity eventually makes friends with the son of the Sheriff, a boy named Kai Thomas, and the daughter of a Medium, Evangeline Ren.

Then, when Trinity is twelve, Kai's father is lynched, accused of being a Godfather, as the Witches controlled the poor man into visiting the victim's home. Kai and his mother, who was a Lookout, were devastated. Trinity wanted to help her best friend, and in doing so, went to her parents and started learning the secrets of witching after school each day.

Two years later, Trinity raises her wand for the first time and directs it at the Vigilante's home.

There is a loud bang.

During that morning, Trinity, Kai, and Morey stand in the circle and listen to the announcements. The real, female Investigator, with her sharp voice and the Sheriff with his heavy accent. After visiting Trinity's home, they came out and spoke.

"The Vigilante shot the Witch last night."