21

Aaron's Pov:

I signed my signature again for what felt like the hundredth time and looked up tiredly from my paperwork, needing a small break from filling out the reports and looked around on the jet. Morgan had his headphones on and eyes closed. He was sitting across from Reid and JJ who were also asleep leaning against the other.

Rossi was passed out reading on the couch and Emily was sitting by herself in the corner next to me, staring out the window. I was surprised that she was still awake considering it was almost three in the morning. Wow by any luck we'd be back before it hit five.

Hesitating, I closed the file for this case and got up so I was now sitting directly across from her. She looked over at me slowly, and stayed silent for a few seconds like she was searching for the right words to say to me so I wouldn't be triggered. I was going to speak first to spare her the awkwardness but she beat me to it.

"I don't want to be rude but I'm not really in the mood right now to be picked on." She said biting on her lip as she stared into my eyes. I saw tears in the corner of her brown eyes which was definitely unusual. I mean I didn't know her that well but I could tell she was a strong person who didn't like having people see her upset about something-especially me out of anybody.

"I just..I came to see how you were doing." I said making surprise look come across her face.

"Why?"

"Does there have to be a reason?"

"Considering everything that we've been through so far, and how you've been treating me I would like to think that yes, there has to be a reason. Are you going to write it out in a report? Make sure I don't get hired?" She asked glancing down at the case file on the table.

"I get why you would think that..but no. I really am just wondering how you are. Someone was killed in front of you, that usually tends to make people be shaken up a little bit." I said and she nodded a little bit.

"Does it?" She asked and I cocked my eyebrow confused.

"Everyone else here seems okay by it. JJ was there too-and now she's...asleep? I mean, how do you guys just..move on so quickly? A little girl died in my hands. I mean yes, granted she was a murderer herself. She was still a human." She said shaking her head.

"It's our job to move on. If we get to involved in these cases.. then we lose ourselves." I said trailing off feeling a little too close to that statement with the flashbacks of Hayley's lifeless body appearing inside of my head.

"Maybe you were right. Maybe I can't do this job."

"I don't believe that." She looked back over at me with her eyebrows raised.

"That's not what you suggested earlier."

"Well I was wrong earlier. I believe you can do this."

"Seriously? I clearly can't I mean everyone else is done with it and I'm replaying it consistently in my head. I should've been able to do more-I shouldn't have frozen up like that-"

"You were in shock. After this, you'll be able to move on quicker."

"How do you do it?"

"I think about the other innocent people that we're saving everyday." She nodded and bit her lower lip.

"Why are you trying to pep me up now? I mean if you so desperately hate me-" I rolled my eyes and scoffed as she laughed slightly.

"I don't hate you." I said finally.
"Im just...not a big fan of you. But I saw you out there, I saw how well you connected with the team and let me tell you something they are not very open to listening to the new guy so they must really like you. Especially Garcia."

"Well look who does have a good side after all." She said cocking her eyebrow as she leaned back in the chair. I felt a little relieved that she wasn't upset anymore, and I felt a small smile on my lips but I wouldn't let it grow anymore.

"Don't get used to it."

"Believe me I won't." She said quietly as she wiped at her eyes looking down at the file.

"Don't worry. I didn't write anything bad about you."

"Can I read it then?"

"No." I said sternly.

"What? Why not?"

"Because that's breaking the rules. If I let you read it then I'd have to let Reid or Rossi-"

"Alright fine I get it." She whispered.
"I'll just take your word for it."