T H R E E

The rest of the dinner went as well as it could. The four of us chatted away; Verba and Roger talked to us as though they'd known us our entire lives. I admit it left a warm feeling in my chest, one that I hadn't felt in a long time.

Mom did say that laughter was the perfect medicine.

Like a perfect gentleman, Xerses paid the tab and tipped the waiters. We'd left the restaurant, side by side, and though I said I could easily walk back home, he wouldn't have it. He practically blocked my path as a hologram valet returned with his car. With his toothy grin, how could I say no?

When Xerses stopped his car outside my apartment complex, I couldn't help but play with my purse's strap as I looked out the window. Each of the stars were brighter than normal. "Verba is nice," I said quietly, looking back over at him.

"Roger's pretty cool." Xerses leaned back against his driver's seat. With his finger, he shut off the car's ignition and navigation system. "We should do this again. Soon."

I smiled at him. The city lights and shadows from the streets reflected beautifully on his skin. There was a shimmer in his eyes, one that almost devoured my gaze. At that moment, his hand moved, and I thought he'd reach over to grab mine, but instead, he picked up a pack of gum from one of the cup holders near the radio and offered me one. I refused.

"We should do it again." I moved my purse back around my shoulder and reached for the door handle, ready to get home. "It was nice."

"It was," he said with a smile. "And you look nice."

I chewed on my lip nervously. My fingers fumbled, slipping off the door handle before I grabbed it again and pushed. The wind blew as I stepped out of the car, and I flattened my dress to keep it still. I hadn't expected Xerses to quickly open his driver's door and meet me on my side, but he did. He held the door in his hand as he looked at my apartment complex. "I could walk you up," he offered.

Why are there butterflies in my stomach?

"I can walk." I shook them off with a laugh—goddamn butterflies—and hugged him. "Thanks for coming out tonight. Call me."

I could feel his eyes on me as I walked towards the main entrance and opened it. "I will," he said when I stood in the doorway, my foot hovering over the first step within the stairway. "First thing."

With a turn, I smiled at him and waved. Once the door closed and he couldn't see me, I pressed my back against it. The breath I took was cold enough to make me tremble.

"Am I allowed nicknames?" Roger asked, the light from his face breaking the dark.

I started up the stairs. "Why wouldn't you?"

Electronically, he unlocked my apartment door. Once inside, the shower turned on and music played. Roger's actions made me smile. "I think I could be called 'Roger, the matchmaker.'"

I laughed, kicking off my shoes and unzipping my jacket. Matchmaker? "You're so full of yourself."

"Ah, you said you wouldn't judge me!" Roger appeared on my television, brightening the shadows around the room. The exaggerated pout on his face playfully broke my heart, if there was such a way, and I hung my purse on a hook beside the door.

"I'm not judging. Just stating the obvious."

"And obviously—" Roger, always quick to change location, appeared on my clock as I sat down, and tugged at the collar of his shirt with a smug look on his face. "—you like Xerses."

I rolled my eyes as I walked towards the shower. Steam seeped out of the partially opened door. "And what? Would you like the toothpaste lady as a VF girlfriend?"