[CHAPTER II] Red Labels

Chapter 2

Red Labels

                “Aw jeez, we’re late!” Jonathan tugged his friend along.  Their luggage bags whirred along the marbled corridor leading to the conference room.  Virgil checked his watch while jogging on his way.  Good Lord, it’s already 8:15 he said to himself, a slight whiff of malt still lingering in his breath.

                 Up ahead, a wide glass door can be seen.  Near the doorway stands a 10-foot long table with small stacks of forms.  A lady behind a table greeted them warmly and requested the two to fill the necessary forms.  Jonathan peeked inside the room and saw around 50 people inside while the lady discussed important information regarding the forms and the event.

                 “Ehrm, miss,” Jonathan interrupted.  The lady looked at him sternly.  “How come there are so many attendees?  I thought we’ll just be around ten?”

                 “Well, the protocol stated that only 5 universities with 2 students each will be given full support or funding by CHED.  Other universities, private and government-based not chosen for the project can still brought their students by their own means and that is legal,” the desk officer explained.

                “Thank you, madame.  Are we severely late,” Virgil politely asked whilst filling up the forms.

                “Just in time boys.  Professor Curva phoned in and said he will arrive in twenty minutes after eight,” she said.  The two finished their papers and went inside.  They have found two vacant seats in the last row.  The programs started a few moments later but still, the much awaited person hasn’t showed up yet.  A VTR of the government’s program played continuously when a slight murmuring was heard near the doorway.  Virgil glanced back and saw a tall, heavy set man wearing a black leather jacket.  Covered with stubbles, his chin emphasizes a strong jaw.  The man removed his sunglasses to reveal round eyes under those thick eyebrows.  Messy, black hair seemed a little oily.   What on earth Johnny Blaze is doing here, Virgil thought.  He jerked when somebody poked him in his side.

                “Where is his bike parked man,” whispered Jonathan.

                “You’re such an ass, I’ve thought of that first,” he replied.  They looked at each other, smiling.  Both of them followed stare at the man as he began to walk towards the podium in the front.  The man placed his laptop bag on a small table beside the podium, took out his laptop and set it in the rostrum.  A presentation displayed on the screen moments later. 

                The presenter cleared his throat and began to speak.  “Good morning.  I ask for forgiveness for my late arrival.  There’s a slight matter in the library which you are going to use to gather references for your study. My name is Antonio Curva, the professor-in-charge of your lecture activities here.”  He clicked on his computer to change the slide.  “They assigned me to give you a full view on the Culture and Folklore in different regions of Luzon island.  Basically, I believe all that you would be able to do here is just a library research and,” he stopped due to the obvious murmuring in the rearmost row.  He looked grimly at the two lads who looked busy arguing.

               “He’s an ass, that Mr. Curva.  We’ve been sent here to do a serious research and he is saying we’ll just do a boring lib research,” Jonathan whispered.

               “Shut up, he’s looking at us,” noticed Virgil as he shifted his position away from his friend.

               “May I continue, lads?”  Tony’s voice sounded disdainful.  He looked back to the white screen just after he saw them bobbed their heads.  “I said, there is a high probability that only library research will be done because there are no such proofs to verify the existence of godly beings and mystical creatures or whatsoever,” he resumed.  Once again, he gazed back at the two to check if he got their attention, as so with the other students.  “And so our first stop, I will show you what will happen two days from now.”  Tony discussed the whole Project Epiko program.  During the whole period, he found himself staring back every now and then to the nosy youngsters at back.