[PROLOGUE] A Prayer Unheard

PROLOGUE

A Prayer Unheard

                Run.  Run like there’s no tomorrow.  There’s nowhere to hide anyway.

                 A trickle of sweat rolled down her cold cheek.   Her dark brown eyes squinting, fixed on the trail ahead.  Starting to cramp, her legs trembled in agony as she pushed herself to run away.  Beating heavily, her heart is about to rip out of her chest as painful knots gripped the side of her ribcage.  Slowly, she staggered to a halt.  Listening towards the path behind her, she crept noiselessly, falling back to the shadows of a large mahogany trunk.  Quivering, she reached for her mobile phone and keyed-in quick dial number 2.

                SPO2 Jimmy Contreras is a municipal policeman of Ramon Town in the province of Isabela.  At the age of 28, he moved up the ranks due to a good performance.  His most recent exploit is the successful single-handed apprehension of four suspects in a big bank heist in his town.    Just a day from full recovery from two gunshot wounds in his left shoulder and left thigh, he returned to service.

                 The clock struck 7:00 PM; he started to clean up his desk to head home.  He has to get home early for he is the only man in the house.  Still single, Jim lives with his widow mother and single-parent sister.  He dedicated his life to law-enforcement after his fiancé ran away with another man when he aged 25. 

                 He hasn’t yet lost his charm.  Standing five-foot-eleven, he walks with an air of confidence, chest out and tummy-in; local girls are rooting for him—but he already closed his door.  His comrades call him kapre, as he was the tallest in RMPD.  Though with quite a lonesome lifestyle, he’s known to keep his cool especially during critical situations.

                 Seeing that all his things placed in their proper spots, he took his bag and headed to a prowl car designated to him and his partner, Miguel Espinosa.  The car unlocks with a loud beep when Jimmy switched the unlock button.  Just before reaching the driver seat, his phone rang—it was his niece.

                “Hello, Arriane?” he answered.

                 “Uncle, I need your help…I’m so sca…” the line went busy.  Jim quickly turned on the car and the engine roared wildly.  Instantaneously, Jimmy knows where to go.  He floored the gas and sped out in the highway.

                 “HQ, this is Rover 4, come in please,” he requested.  “Rover 4, this is HQ.  What’s up,” replied a familiar voice.  “HQ, I’m possibly in need of backup.  10-31 in Whisky Delta” Jim frantically replied.  “10-4, back-up at your six.  This is Rover 2.”

                 That was quick, he thought as a strong siren blast reached his ears.  Indeed, patrol car number two came up to him.  Jimmy opened his window and raised a hand to acknowledge.  A few moments later, his phone buzzed.  A text message arrived.

                 Big deal, you almost partied without me.  I’m here with 2. - Miguel

                 Sorry mate, I haven’t thought of that earlier.  He glimpsed at the rearview mirror and positively saw his partner, Miguel joined car number 2.  Focusing back on the road, he swerved sharply to the right to follow a shortcut path towards the location he thought where his niece might be.  The rocky trail measures four meter wide.  The pebbles in the road were sharp, any quicker than 40km/h and you will surely have a flat tire but Jim thought, any slower than 60km/h may cause the dear life of her niece so he took the risk since another patrol car may hitch him a ride in case.