Cinder

There is one ball every year.

One chance.

One way to end the monarchy plaguing our land.

On the night of the that very special ball. My fairy godmother gave me the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. Along with a crystal mask and a pair of glass slippers.

"Be wary". She said. "You have one chance. Come back to us alive."

"Yes, fairy godmother." I curtsied to the woman who has given me everything I have. Who taught me the difference between right and wrong, and how wrong the royals are who ruined our kingdom.

The ogre wars had taken its toll on our people and they did nothing to stop it. As we fought to see the next sunrise, they vanished behind the crystal doors of their palace. More worried about their next party, rather than the safety of their own people. Most of us have lost almost everything due to the war. When sickness took my mother, the ogres took my father and brothers. I was left to fend for myself.

"Of course I will, mother. I will never disappoint you."

She gave a soft smile as we said our goodbyes. For now.

Tonight was the annual ball. Every noble in the land would be present and, for me, that meant the perfect opportunity to the dispose of the prince. There would be no monarchy without the royal family. They did nothing as our land was drenched in blood, tonight however, blood will drench the palace.

I turned to enter the carriage as I picked up the ends of my blue dress. The footman closed the door behind me as I sat clenching the silver dagger between my hands. I couldn't remember a single moment where I had been this ready. An evil grin spread across my face as I imagined exactly how I would do what I had to do. Tonight there would be no mercy and the screams of the guilty would fill the everlasting darkness of the night. For this night, would change our entire world.

For the better(mind you).

The night was cold as we rode to the palace. Darkness surrounded every inch of the forest and the only light came from the homes of those who dared to attract any sort of attention to themselves. I hid the dagger in the hems of my dress. Feeling its weight as I replayed the upcoming scene in my head over and over again. There is a saying 'the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach', today however the quickest way to man's heart would be through his fourth and fifth rib.

I grabbed the small mirror that I carried in my purse. I held it in my hands as I recited the spell which showed me what I needed to see. "I summon the all-seeing eye to tear a hole into the sky. Reveal to me that which is hidden. Show me what is forbidden."

My mirror no longer showed me my reflection, instead it showed me a room in the palace where three monarchs stood ready to attend the ball. I spotted the current king and queen and right next to them stood the young prince. How dashing. A family ball in its full glory. The first guests were already arriving and filling the ballroom. Music echoed through the entire palace and every single guest was having the time of their life.

But not for long.

"Thank you, mirror." The image of the royals vanished. Replaced with my own reflection once again. In my own eyes I saw determination and a fiery wrath that no ogre, nor royal, could ever take away from me.

I looked out of the window and saw the palace. We were almost there. Carriages rode behind and in front, and then me anxious to step out of mine.

We finally came to halt in front of the grand staircase. The door to my carriage was opened and the palace butler offered me his hand. I stepped out of the carriage admiring the glory of the palace. What beautiful place. With a soon to be horrid nightmare.