One More Cup

The cafe, while not often completely empty, rarely saw new faces. Tonight appeared to be one of those rare moments. Not that anyone actually paid more than a fleeting glance at fidgety figure by the entryway. Her fingers fiddled at the hem of her shirt and her eyes were wide, overwhelmed by the aroma of blood that wafted within the cafe. It was a good thing she had a flu mask over her face because  she was pretty sure she was going to start drooling anytime soon. Hopefully not yet, though.

There was a slight hesitation before she took a few steps further in. She had come alone. The girl took a few deep breaths as she looked at the little card in her hand for the umpteenth time. This was the right place, right ?

When she had found the card, slipped through the gap under the front door, she wasn't sure what to make of it. Needless to say she was suspicious. It didn't help that the thing smelled of rat, albeit different from the strange fanged one that had snuck up on her a couple of nights ago.

Or maybe it had been the same damn rat and she had just been sniffing it wrong. Whatever the case was, she was here. And after an hour and a half of trying to figure out the incredibly specific and yet somehow confusing directions on the back of the card, the young vampire was tuckered out.

A combination of the scent of blood and her own thirst was starting to cloud her mind. She couldn't think straight. She walked up to the counter. And there, behind the counter, stood a girl with soft brown eyes and a fanged smile so warm it could melt an iceberg.

Before the newcomer could piece her thoughts together, her words were already tumbling out of her mouth.

"I-I ...uh.. blood. Yes!"

She really couldn't think straight.

The girl across the counter - her name was Lucy, so said her name tag- appeared to be trying to maintain her perfectly practiced smile of politeness.

"What type of blood would you like?"

"Ty-type?"

"We've got a selection here." She slid the menu on the counter towards the newcomer's side. "No human though."

"What...uh...wh-what would y-you recommend?" Her head swam with a heightened awareness of everything around her.

"First time feeding?"

"N-no..." the newcomer glanced away. Her stomach hurt. The words and images on the menu grew bright.

"But it is your first time here, right?"

The question was answered with a dazed nod.

"Hm..." Lucy replied." What about pig? Chicken perhaps?"

"Anything is fi-fine.."

The barista pressed her lips together into an uncertain frown. "Is pig fine then ?"

"Y-yes..." Please! Just give her blood already!

"Caffeinated? Sugar level?"

"I-I don't care ..."

Lucy seemed to have gotten the idea now. With just a quick mention of the price, she had whipped around to prepare the beverage. Which didn't take that long really. The blood in the coolers were already loaded with anticoagulants, they poured out of the taps with ease.

A cup of pig's blood was set on the counter before the masked newcomer. The young one made haste. She pulled down her mask.

Too many teeth.

Sharp, triangular teeth that wouldn't look out of place in the jaws of some deep sea fish. Numerous cuts and scrapes on her lips told a painful tale. Lucy, despite her best efforts in maintaining a welcoming disposition, couldn't help but shudder just a little. She could only imagine what the transformation process would have been like for the poor girl.

The scent of blood before her unmasked face was too much for the newcomer. In the end it was hunger that triumphed over the need to stay composed before a cute girl. (Odd. This had never happened before.)She grabbed the cup in both hands and downed the whole thing in quick gulps.

Lucy stared.

The customer barely noticed. She chose not to. What did it matter anyways? She had already made a fool out of herself. It couldn't get any worse. It didn't matter.

Nothing mattered.

Except for hunger.

"Um...excuse me? But...uh....that'll be four fifty."

The other set down her now empty cup almost a little forcefully. Blood dribbled down her chin. She didn't even bother to wipe it away before  reaching into her messenger bag to fish out her wallet.

She handed over nine dollars.

"I need one more."

Lucy spared no time in getting her another cup. This customer sure did seem like she needed it.

The second cup was downed even quicker than the first.

"Another." She shoved her whole wallet towards  the barista. "Please."

Lucy sighed. She had a feeling this was going to be a long night. Where the hell was her more experienced co-worker when she needed him ? She looked went through the customer's wallet.

Huh. There was enough for six more cups. The third cup was served and then promptly consumed.

"Another?"

"Another"

One more cup. And then another. And then another and another and just one more. And with each cup, the excessively toothed vampire fed less ravenously.

"And this will be you last cup?" Lucy asked as she served the eighth cup. In her short time working here, she had never seen with someone with such an appetite.

"I ...don't know," she groaned. "It...It's not going away."

"What's...not going away."

"Hunger..."

"You're...still hungry?" The barista raised a brow. This wasn't right. Right?

"No....I have to stop..." the young vampire replied. The hunger pangs were no longer there. Her surroundings no longer shone in her vision with pulsating vibrancy. She was no longer hungry. She had not been since the third cup. She was full. She was so full.

And yet she couldn't stop. She had to stop. Why couldn't she stop? She tipped her supposedly final cup of blood into her mouth.

It felt right.

It felt comforting.

But she couldn't go on. Her head was starting to feel heavy. Her eyelids were falling close. She shambled over to a nearby table, plopped herself into a seat, and dropped into a deep post-meal slumber.

- - -
[Author's note]

Many apologies for not updating in weeks .... I was just feeling out of it and also school continues to kick my ass. 

Anyways, as usual, many thanks for reading. Votes and comments would be greatly appreciated.