Chapter 4

The car had barely parked when Michael jumped out and ran to his front door. I followed as fast as I could. But when he was using vampire speed, it was really hard to follow the gust of wind he left behind. I soon stopped my running and settled down in a corner where there was a turn in the hall. I looked everywhere for a natural source of light. There was none. All the windows were covered. All the halls dark around me except for some kerosene lit lamps.

                I decided to look for my way back to the entrance, then go back to the way my room was, but instead go to the council meeting room. I’m sure if anything, there’d be some action in there. If not, at least I found my way back to my room.

                I started to go back the way we came and then go up to my level. I heard voices. Very loud voices. One of them being the old man that was upset at me last night. I hesitated to open the door. So instead, I just sat down and leaned my ear on it so I could hear.

                “The body was drained?! What are you implying Michael?” The old man’s voice was croaky but wise and spiteful.

                “None of our students would dare.” A woman’s voice burst out.

                “It could have been another vampire not part of our group.” A desperate sounding voice from a male interrupted.

                “Please, everyone. I’m sure if we all sat down and let Michael speak-“

                “Let a child have the floor?! Edwin, are you mad?!” The old man spat.

                “He is a big part of us. Show him some respect.” Edwin replied. Or at least I think he did.

                “I’m just trying to tell all of you, a vampire, sucked out all of the blood of a human, and possibly dragged the body out on purpose. If so, don’t you think it could’ve been a message? To us.”

                “By whom?” The old man sounded annoyed.

                There was silence for about a minute. Then Michael spoke. “The Cravians.”

                Whispers and gasps went through the room.

                “You believe it to be so? Michael?”

                “I believe it’s a possibility.”

                “Edwin?” A distinguished male voice asked.

                There was a long pause. Finally, Edwin spoke. “We can rule out nothing until we investigate, or the truth comes to light on its own. If any decide to go to the town, it will only be in groups and with one being most trusted. If necessary, we will send elders most trusted. This is an extremely dangerous time. We cannot let any object or entity go slack. War is coming. We must do all we can to make sure we do not lose before we must begin to win.”

                There was a silence, and I heard nothing. The door opened and I fell forward to black boots and black pants. I followed upwards to see Edwin. He looked surprised at first but then he changed his look to a soft smile. He bent down and grabbed me by the arms.

                “Are you all right Sydia?” He lifted me to my feet.

                “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been ease dropping.”

                “Fear not. You must know this aswell. And if I were as lucky as you, I would not have entered either.” He gave me a slight wink through his glasses and walked on down the hall.