Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Drew headed down the stairs from the apartment he shared with his brother, Kurt. He kneed the laundry basket heaped with his clean clothes to get a better grip and continued down the steps toward his truck.

A smile crept across his face as he remembered how red Rainey’s cheeks went when he’d embarrassed her last night at staff orientation.

His brother tossed Drew’s duffle into the back of the truck and looked up at him. “What’s so funny?”

Drew jumped down the last two steps. “Rainey Zigler.”

“You’re interested in a girl?” Kurt’s voice went up at the end, hopeful.

“Intrigued.”

“About time you got over Samantha.” Kurt rapped his knuckles against Drew’s arm. “Got any more gear for me to bring down?”

“That’s it. I’ll take the truck up to camp and move in later.” He hefted the basket into the truck bed. “Rainey was in junior high when I led worship for her youth group. Braces and braids—who knew she’d grow up so hot?” Drew looked up and stopped cold.

Kurt buried his hands in the pockets of his cargo shorts. His face had turned the color of sand.

“What’s wrong?” Had Kurt gotten a text that someone died or was critically injured? Family members swirled through his mind. “Just say it already.”

“I wasn’t going to tell you yet, but since you brought up this Rainey… I’m going to Japan. Two years. Teaching English as a second language.”

Drew grabbed the truck gate, lightheaded. “What? Why? Two years. Are you crazy?”

“It was hard enough to make the decision without you trying to talk me out of it.”

“Like I—”

“You would have.”

Drew bit down on his anger. He wouldn’t spit out words he’d regret later. “So, your mind’s made up.” He scrubbed his fingers through his hair like he could push the information into his head somehow. “How long have you been thinking about this?”

“My whole life.”

Kurt’s fascination with Anime, sushi, and all things Japanese swam into his mind. “But you never talked about going there to live.

“It’s past time to cut bait with Cheri. I’m not marrying her. If I don’t go now, I’ll never go.”

Drew gave a dry laugh. “Never did understand what you saw in the control queen.”

“I’m doing it as much for you as for me.”

“You sound like Dad when he used to get out the belt.”

Kurt smiled. “No, that was, ‘This is going to hurt me as much as it hurts you.’ And that’s true.”

“How is this good for me?”

“Samantha did a number on you, and you’ve got to deal with it. Take me out of the equation. Now you have to face it.”

“And I get equal time to ream you about Cheri, the ship that should have sailed after two weeks instead of two years—”

“Take your best shot.”

Drew shook his head. “This would make the grandmomma of all April Fool’s jokes.”

“It’s May. Besides, you’re the go-to guy for fun. At least, you used to be.”

He opened his mouth to argue, but Kurt cut him off. “It’s been six years. You’re not bouncing back like I keep praying. If I’m gone, I’m not your excuse for a life.”