Chapter 8

COME OVER.

I sat up on the bed as I looked around, heart thumping against my chest. Before I could reach for my phone, I heard the door creak open.

"Oh, good. You're awake," Archer yawned, rubbing his palm over his chest as he entered the room. "You should get ready before we're both late." He chuckled like a student waking up in his bed wasn't odd. 

He sat down on the mattress and it sinks lightly with his weight. I curl my legs towards me, avoiding his touch. 

"What happened?" I rubbed my eyes, trying to get myself more alert before looking back at him.

"You fell asleep, so I carried you to the bed." His head tilting to the right as his lips stretched into a warm smile.

"I'm so sorry—"

"It's okay, forget about it." He laughed, waving his hand before him as though to swat away my apology. "Just go get ready." He began shooing me out of the room, all the way to my apartment.

I was practically shoved back into my apartment, almost walking into Lina as Archer made his way back to his apartment. Lina stares at me as Archer closes his door behind him, dumbfounded.

"It's not what it looks like," I said quickly before she could jump to a conclusion.

"Same here." She let out just as fast, her cheeks burning red as Jace walked out of her room hastily. He barely passes me a glance, muttering something under his breath as he walked out of the apartment.

It took me aback slightly, but I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt since I was in a similar position.

"No questions?" I peeped, raising my brows.

"No questions." She shook her head, letting out a deep breath as she walked into her room.

Both Lina and I had an agreement where if we suspect that something could cause a conflict between the both of us, we'd come to a conclusion of not questioning each other.

I ran to my washroom where I got ready and met with Archer outside in the hallway. His hair was damp, crashing over his forehead lightly and his face cleanly shaven.

"Let's go." He chimed. He gestured for me to walk ahead of him and so I did.

The car ride was mostly silent but not an awkward one. It was weird how I was getting closer to my professor. After passing an intersection a few miles before the campus, he speaks.

"You should come over tonight." He said and my head snapped to his direction.

"I'm sorry?" I said, hoping he'd repeat himself.

"No-no, not like that." He choked on his words as he laughed bashfully, the corner of his eye crinkling with the wide smile. "Come over so that we can pick up from where we left off," Archer said with a nod then pauses because it sounded worse and winces. His head tics to the side as he tried to find the right words.

"Where we left off with the book." He finally finished, clearing his throat and tugging at the collar of his shirt. "And I've yet to brief you on the event."

"Alright," I responded softly, looking out the window, feeling the heat crawl up my neck.

After a few minutes, I hear him say "and we're here," as he pulled over in front of the campus.

I stepped out and paused before closing the door. Archer looks at me from the passenger seat and before I could prolong the awkward silence, I spoke out. "Thank you."