I saw this and thought of you

My friends and I were walking around the mall when I saw it. It was sitting on the shelf, like it was waiting for me. I had froze and was making eye contact with the stuffed sea otter. Its brown eyes staring at me, tempting me with the memory of our first encounter.

That sea otter was the reason we met. We had both reached for it at the same time. You told me it was for your little brother. He was really into marine life and you loved that about him.

You told me to take it. You were going to find another animal. I insisted that you'd take it. To make your little brother happy.

When I had looked into your green eyes, I would've never guessed that you would blurt the next few words.

"It's fine. He's like fifteen-years-old, and he doesn't need anymore animals. You're really pretty."

You shied away, but I had asked for your number. I was never one to be brave but I felt like I needed to.

'Love at first sight' was running through my mind. You were the cutest person I have ever seen.

We spent the next few months together. 

The best months of my life...

I'll miss you, love.

But I want you to find someone you love as much as you loved me.

Please be happy.

I'll always love you.

Tears were streaming down my cheeks as I finished the letter. I didn't know what to feel. This was the last thing I have of him. I clutched the paper to my chest.

A pair arms wrapped around me to console me.

"It's okay, Ayla. Let it out."

"I miss him so much." I wiped my tear streaks away and looked at my brother in the eye, "Thank you for giving this to me."

"He told me to give it to you a year after his funeral."

"I feel better," I sniffled, "but why you?"

"Because I was the reason you two met?" he joked, "I'm kidding, but that was a part of the reason. He said he trusted me. He trusted that I would give it to you without a second thought. He trusted that I would be the best person to comfort you when you broke down. I loved him too. I'm glad that I was the reason you two started dating. You both were soulmates. Everyone could see that, but I believe there is someone else out there for you. He wants you to move on, and when haven't you listen to him."

As I analyzed the words from my brother, it definitely made me think. I now know what it is like to put your all into someone, and if there is someone else out there for me, I'll know. He was always right, and I always listened. I saw this letter and thought of you, my love.