3: Manila's Last Servant

The morning sun mocked his awakening. He could still feel the flames tearing off his skin as the screams of thousands of civilians echoed across the ash-covered walls. The nightmares haunted him, even though the tragedy happened over two centuries ago.

He woke up to a tapping on his shoulder, the sunrise shining through the blue and green stain glass of the temple.

"Leonidas, you fell asleep. Have you been here since your return?" bellowed Father Adam, the minister of the Temple of Makenna. Leonidas' eyes fluttered open, his head resting on the wooden pew. He sighed, not answering Father Adam's question, and laid there. He did not say a word but kept the tranquil, blank expression on his face. He closed his eyes again, hoping for one last glimpse of the goddess.

"Makenna, please, I need to speak with her. I've tried so many, and none have answered..."

Father Adam placed his hand on Leonidas' shoulder, comforting the elf.

"Nefili... Maria..." Leonidas was so focused on trying to channel the goddess Makenna, that he did not notice his own breaths shorten. His voice cracked and wavered as the images of those he lost abused him.

"I suspect your travels didn't aid you?" Father Adam asked, hurt in his voice; hurt at seeing his friend in pain.

Leonidas opened his eyes, resting his head in his hands, "I've tried. I did what you told me to. Still, she won't answer."

"Perhaps it's not the time-"

"It's been a hundred years, dammit," He squeezed his hand into a fist, bringing it down onto the wood with a boom. The sound reverberated throughout the empty church, interrupting the peaceful aura the temple carried.

"Becoming a divine channeler takes hundreds of years of study. It may take more time."

"I traveled all over Valiterra. I visited every accessible temple and shrine. Still, that coward of a goddess hasn't even said a word."

"Maybe she is afraid."

"Why would a goddess be afraid? She was the one who told me that she would contact me," Leonidas looked up at the minister with a face covered in doubt. His long, navy hair was a mess, and an evident 5 o'clock shadow extended across his jaw. Dark bags hung under his defeated, gray-blue eyes. His face was still red from the uncomfortable slumber, and his gray tunic was in need of washing. "How can a goddess be so cruel? She told me-" a heavy weight pushed further and further on his chest, invoking another cry, "She told me that if I waited, she'd come back!"

"Leonidas, I understand that you're hurting, but you can't remain like this. Just last year you were okay. Why are you upset now?"

"I looked all over Valiterra and learned from dozens of teachers. I tried and tried to become better at magic. I guess I'm just realizing now that it was all for nothing," a nervous laugh attempted to shield his pain, only making it more evident.

"What are you saying?" Father Adam questioned as his worry grew stronger.

"I'm saying what's the point? Why am I even trying to avenge them when there's no hope of it? I can't take on an empire like this. Not by myself. I'm trying other goddesses, right now in fact. I'm beginning to think this is all for nothing."

"Don't be overdramatic."

"I'm not."

"I think what you need is a break."

"Are you telling me to give up?"

    "No, of course not. But you need a vacation. Let your mind rest elsewhere."

"How can I let my mind go somewhere else with this guilt?"

"Stop it. You're being irrational. It's not your fault."

Leonidas remained silent.

"What you need is to stop blaming yourself. It's not worth it. Sorry about this, but you're acting stupidly. You're making a big deal out of what happened. I know what happened was terrible, but you shouldn't remain this sad for this long. Take a breather. Hang out with some friends, or something," The minister advised.

"But today is the anniversary..."

"And instead of mourning for the lost, remember that you are alive and you need to celebrate it."

"Well, my friend did invite me on a trip."

"Where to?"

"Durak."

"Have you ever been there?"

"No, and I have no reason to. That place isn't known for magic or shrines or whatever. It wasn't on my map during my travels."

"Maybe you should go. Durak has an excellent magic college, even if it's not well known."

"I guess."

"It's settled. You're going to Durak," Father Adam stood up, not taking no for an answer.

Leonidas sighed, not happy or upset. He stood reluctantly, and without a single goodbye to the minister, he straightened out his gray tunic and picked up his leather bag. He silently walked out of the Temple of Makenna.

"Please Leonidas, don't give up on Manila. The pendant you wear should remind you to keep going."

"No, this pendant reminds me of how I failed," he plodded away as his hand toyed with the gemless pendent, but when he was about to open the exit, a strange light arose from behind him. He turned his head, not to the light of the morning but to the light of a goddess. Makenna, goddess of magic, floated in front of him, only visible in his eyes. Her sparkling blonde hair fluttered down her back and a beautiful glittering dress draped the room with stars. Such a sight would normally strike fear or awe in someone's heart, however, Leonidas maintained a straight face.

"Leonidas," the air left him as he heard his name, "Don't give up on Manila. She will answer you in good time. Meanwhile, I will help you, but only if you do a favor for me," Makenna's voice was soft yet mature, and her starry eyes shined with every word.

"And what sort of favor would that be?" Leonidas inquired in monotone.

"Look after your friends. There is danger on your journey."

"Then we won't go."

"The danger will follow you for a long time. Defend yourselves. Stay on guard."

"If I do, how will you help me?"

"I will make Manila talk to you," the goddess offered.

"Yeah right," Leonidas scoffed, turning his back to her.

"Go to my shrine in Durak. She'll be there."

Leonidas walked away, not taking in a single word the goddess of magic said. Still, it tantalized his mind.

He pondered the thought over and over, "Alright then, I'll go to her shrine. She better be there."

Leonidas slammed the door shut, walking into the sunny street. Father Adam was left inside, gaping in wonder at the presence he felt. He did not see Makenna, but he certainly felt her presence.