Chapter Two

I wake up to Tiffany or Briana shaking me awake. I groan and turn to my side.

"Five more minutes," I mumble, trying to go back to sleep. I feel a weight on my side, and I open my eyes to see Briana sitting on me. I shove her off, pretending I can't breath.

"You're too heavy!" I say, narrowing my eyes at Briana. She puts her hands on her hips and sticks her tongue out at me. I roll my eyes.

"Come on, we got to get ready," Tiffany says, grabbing Briana and me, then rushing upstairs to her room. She tugs out my ponytail and takes a brush through my hair, while Briana just brushes her own jet black hair. We both have long, naturally curly hair. However, Tiffany does something to it that makes it sleek and smooth, with the regular curls. She does the same to Briana's. She goes to put makeup on me, but I stop her.

"No makeup. I'm not going to plaster myself with that stuff just to get some prince to notice me. If he doesn't choose me as I am, then it's his lost. I'm cracking enough with the dress and the hair," I say. Tiffany smiles, and goes to retreive a pair of light blue heels.

"Don't forget the shoes!" She grins. I sigh, and put on the shoes and the dress. We all stare at each other in the mirror. Briana put her hair in a pink bow, and Tiffany kept hers the same length. Her teal dress shows off her own eyes as well.

"Let's go!" Tiffany says, and she pulls us to where the pictures are being taken. The line is long, and we wait for what seems life forever, until finally, it's my turn. My hair at this point has been going down my right cheek, and I look at the photographer, smiling slightly. CLICK, and it's done. I rush out of there, to where Briana and Tiffany are waiting. They go over their poses with each other, and then beg me to show them mine. I sigh, copying my pose. They scream.

"If that doesn't get them, I don't know what will!"

*        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *

Briana and Tiffany stare at the screen just as the Capital Report comes on. They scream, and King Maxson sits next to Queen America.

"She was a Five, just like you guys," Tiffany whispers.

"Quiet!" Briana screams just as Erik Foster announces that the Selection will begin. They show the pictures of the girls, while keeping a small box in the corner with the princes to see their reaction. I tune out as they show the girls.

"Briana Dennis from the Columbia Provice. Five," Erik announces, and they show Briana's picture. She looks so excited yet mature. Tiffany screams, but Briana quiets her.

"And finally, Crystal Dennis from the Columbia Provice. Five," Erik shows my picture, and I turn towards the princes. They look surprised that twins showed up, but they don't do much. Briana and Tiffany scream as the screen goes black, but I just sink to the couch, trying to disappear in it. This means I'm a Three now, so is Briana. I'm going to have to leave my parents, and my unborn brother or sister.

Why did I have to fill out that letter?

*        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *       

The next few days pass in a daze, a man came and told us the rules of the Selection, even the one where we had to do anything the princes wanted without question. And yes, I know what that means. It sickens me that the princes could do that if they wanted to. Not much better than forcing it upon us.