Prologue

The room was bathed in black and red. Girls danced across the floor in shimmering red cocktail dresses with matching shoes. Rosy eyeshadow tinted the eye of every female attendant of the party, and the jewelry that dangled from wrists, ears, and throats were thin and had some component of either a rose or red.

Everything was red.

Emma Costello, the center of attention. She was dancing with her friends in the center of the room, her smile wide and happy. She looked like a child that was hyped up on sugar. Her golden hair hung in loose waves down her back, brushing her small but round backside. All eyes were on her, and she was reveling in it. Her jade eyes scanned the room until they rested on me, standing in the corner of the room.

I met her eyes of jade with mine of sapphire. I knew her well, she was popular. But she wasn't who she let on. I knew her game, as well as her talent.

Allure.

She knew how to lure people in, whether it was with her body or something else. Though she wasn't open with it, we both knew that was what she did. Her being one of the most popular girls, it more than took me by surprise when she bounced over to me.

"Valentina, what're you doing all by yourself?" She asks with a smile. She seemed kind and open, but I was cautious.

"Just didn't...I dunno. I don't dance very well," I answer with a small shrug.

"C'mon, I'll show you how. It'll be fun!" She says.

Why was she talking to me?

I nod slowly, walking out onto the floor. Emma smiles, her white teeth glittering in the dim lighting of the room.

Soon enough, I'm dancing like I've never danced before.  Provocative, gaining some attention. Emma seems happy to share, so we dance together, knowingly seeing men stare for a little too long.

But one man catches my eye. With dark brown eyes, he was entirely beautiful. God had sculpted him with care, and it showed. His jaw locked when our eyes met, a slow, sexy smirk spreading across his plump pink lips. I feel my cheeks redden, but I don't look away. I daringly hold eye contact with him for a moment longer, biting my red lip. His Adam's apple bobs, and I realize he's chuckling. I avert my gaze to Emma, seeing her giggling.

"You know what? I like you, Valentina. Care to spend the night?" She smiles. I knew better than to say no, I didn't want to get on her bad side.

So, against my better judgment, nod.

There's a reason it's called better judgment.