CHAPTER 4: VOICES

It was just them, face to face, atop the summit of the dune. The only sound present being the soft crashing of waves and the rustling of tree leaves. The golden leaves that danced in the wind twirled around and lightly brushed their hair and with that, the feint smell of salt water filled their noses. The sun was dying in the horizon, casting a beautiful blue-pink hue over everything.

The little boy before Luka smiled; grinned even and his bright purple eyes bore into his. Luka, him having the same sensation, smiled back.  

Seconds later, kid was on his little feet and racing across the sandy plane. Luka followed suit and both open their arms as they dashed against the wind, the sand sinking underneath the weight of their bare feet. The boy’s eyes light up with joy as he laughed.

The ridiculous grin on his face made Luka beam with humour.

“Hey Luka!” he yelled out, his voice a little muffled.

Luka approached him and tucked his hands behind his back. From his pocket, the boy pulled something out.

“It’s really pretty.” He said, totally oblivious to his childish timbre. “What is it?”

***

The sudden vibration startles Luka awake. Looking to his side, he sees his alarm clock blink, the numbers 0645 flashing in bright red. Feeling a little confused, he sat up.

“What the hell?” He muttered.

Usually, he didn’t have dreams and even if he did dream, it wouldn’t be as strange as the one he just had.

Just then, a tear fell on his lap. He’d cried, again.

He got up and headed straight for the balcony, soaking up the morning sun and breathing in the fresh air. The tall buildings reflected the light, illuminating Luka’s body when he stepped out. The air around him was cool and the sun didn’t feel as hot.

He then cast his eyes downwards.

Black Orchid bustled with life; cars whizzing by, pedestrians perambulating up and about, school (primary, junior and senior high) students rushing to class from the parking lot and the street vendors setting up shop. Things looked normal.

But it didn’t feel normal. Luka didn’t feel at ease at all. “... Tlala. I'm hungry. Yes, I'm very hungry and that's why I'm crying.”

With that said, he put on some underwear and swiped his phone from the desk before heading out the door.

“No lessons, huh? Might as well check—

Something lit up in the back of his mind.

He looked to the side to see his mother’s door slightly ajar, dead silence coming from it. He knew that checking on her would be the right thing to do. After all, she was his mother and as much as she’s changed, she tried her best to make things work.

But he also knew that she was a grown woman who was more than capable of taking care of herself.

Just then, the phone rang.

“Hi.”

He quickly padded downstairs. “Sarabi, hi. How you doin’? And most importantly, I’m fucking starving.” He rounded the bend and went for the kitchen, leaning on the counters next to the tap.

Her sweet laugh made his heart swell. “Is there ever a time when you answer the phone like a normal person?”

He smiled. “I’m not normal. Normal is just so, basic. Besides, you like me like this.”