2.2. (1)

DAVID GREEN'S INTERVIEWS

SOUND: The Heavens Are Telling, Haydn, Mormon Tabernacle Choir

"The man of ability takes advantage of everything

And neglects nothing that can give him a chance of success."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Dee picked up his phone and scrolled through the audio tracks to double-check the info he had collected. Except for the introduction of each subject he interviewed, he could skip through his questions. Given his good memory, it'd be a waste of time listening to himself anyway. He hit play and the sound started.

Location: Caffé Palermo

Subject: Vito Caruso—cafe owner

First came the chattering of the clients, accompanied by the clattering and clinking of ceramics, the buzzing of the coffee machine and the splashing of water from the sink.

"Vain? Sybil Vain, you said? No, never heard of him."

The middle-aged man had a baritone voice—perfectly fit to his size—but it sounded stiff and defensive. At that time, Dee had already noticed the young waitress—Vito's daughter—so he had politely asked to have a chat with her.

"Why would you have to ask my daughter too? What's the point?"

Dee was reminded of Vito's broad shoulders, round belly and big rough hands as the man gestured at his own words—the Italian way. His voice sounded harsher than his pleasant De Niro face looked.

"Even if they told you he was here, it has nothing to do with us. Maria and I know nothing about this Vain and obviously we are not writing down the name of every-fucking-body that sets foot in our café. Now, if you are not going to order, get out of here and let me do my job."

The audio stopped abruptly. For Dee, Vito was a dead-end.

Location: at the intersection of 5th Avenue and 64th Street

Subject: a young passer-by

The roaring of motors flooded the speaker, tapping of steps and chatting in the background.

"I was laughin' cause ya're talkin' 'bout that guy. Yeah, that guy seein' the future, right? Sure as hell I never asked his name, but I know somethin'... Yeah, there's this crazy old man. People say he keeps seein' stuff... He lives somewhere 'round here, but don't get too worked up, trust me. He's just a hobo. I'm sure the shit 'bout his powers it's just a prank thrown 'round by some punks."