Chapter 4

Sonic's P.O.V

I grab one last stick and bring all of the sticks I have in my hands to the campground. Shadow ran back to his house and grabbed two sleeping bags, two tents, some food, and water. Shadow runs back to the campgrounds. I say, "this feels like a camping trip." Shadow asks, "is that a bad thing?" I say, "no it isn't, it's just that I haven't done this in years." I lay the back of my head against a log. Shadow says, "yeah well I have never gone camping so I don't know how to make a tent. I just had it just in case I had too." I ask, "you have two emergency tents?"

Shadow says, "well yeah. Just in case the other one gets destroyed or if someone ended up with me." I ask, "you really think of all the scenarios don't you?" Shadow answers, "not all the time but yeah I prepare for any scenario I can think of." I say, "everything you do or say leads to multiple scenarios. How are you able to counter all the bad scenarios?" Shadow says, "the answer is simple. I can't. All the bad scenarios will happen. I can't stop everything. I can just stop what I can stop. If it happens, I just have to accept the fact that it happened."

I look down as I think about my meeting with my mom. I feel ashamed for acting that way towards her but it has already happened. I can't do anything about it now. Hopefully she isn't too mad at me. Shadow asks, "are you thinking about your meeting with Queen Aleena?" I nod and ask, "how'd you know?" Shadow answers, "you were looking down like you were ashamed. And also because I saw he face you made. It was the face of guilt. I know this cause I had that face in the past." I ask, "why?"

Shadow answers, "well... I ended up killing a whole family. 2 elders, 1 male adult, 1 female adult, 2 teens, and 1 baby." I say, "oh." Shadow says, "yeah GUN forced me to do it." I growl, "I can't believe I actually believed they were good guys. Nor can I believe they are the most trusted military on this planet." Shadow shrugs and says, "I don't know. But they clearly have not changed their minds about me." I ask, "wait what?" Shadow says, "yeah I was planning on running away as well. Turns out they still believe I am evil. They got me to work for them not because they trust me, but because they wanted to use my powers for their own plans. And once all of their plans for me were done, I would be killed."

I say, "but you have done so much for them and you had shown loyalty to them. Why would they still think you're evil?" Shadow says, "I don't know. They won't tell me why. All I know is that they are spreading bad rumors about me." I think, "how dare they?!" Shadow sees my angry expression and says, "calm down Sonic." I say, "sorry but it makes me so mad. You helped save Mobius like 2 time already. That should be enough proof that you are a good guy."

Shadow says casually, "well it's just the way it goes. I just have to learn to deal with it." I sigh and say, "I guess we both are having problems." Shadow says, "well at least we both know that someone will have our backs in this tough situation." I knew he was referring to me and him. I smile and say, "yeah." I think, "I would do anything to keep you safe from GUN and I know you will do whatever you can to keep me from Sally and my mom. After all, that is what friends do for each other. Too bad we can't be more than friends but friends are better than rivals."