Prologue

In Belmoor, there are four types of elementals.

The children of the Wind. They are the ones that twist and bend the oxygen we inhale. They can conjure up the greatest winds known to mankind, able to fuse together a bubble of suffocation around their victims if they so wished. Though skittish and mischievous at times, they were nice and instead used their gift for goodhearted acts.

The children of the Ocean. They were the ones that manipulated water, casting upon incredible magic that allowed them to control the elemental. They were calm creatures; relatively sweet, and used their gift to help those in need.

The children of the Land. They were the ones that helped construct our magical country. With powers that allowed them to navigate large boulders and mend together dirt, the land beneath our feet were at their will. Because of this, they can be conceited at times, though respected to a degree.

The children of the Flame. They were the ones that people shied away from. With the ability to conjure a ball of scorching fire with a single thought, they tended to correlate with their gift in their attitudes. Arrogant, intimidating people with temperaments as hot as the searing pain they could inflict.

My name is Anastasia Floros, spawn of Mira and Antony Floros, both Land elementals. One would assume for their one and only child to have been gifted with the same elemental powers.

Except I have nothing besides a strange ability to heal any small cuts along my own skin; one that no one besides my parents know about. They told me not to tell anyone about this strange, unseen gift, as it is unheard of. As far as anyone knows, I am powerless.

But then, in comes the 10th annual Games of the Gods, that occur every century. This is where eight children are chosen, two from each elemental family, to participate in a tournament that is presented in front of the Four Original Gods that have made up our world. Whichever three elemental children succeed, they will have the opportunity to choose a life in Mount Olympus amongst the Gods for eternity, or request a single wish.

When I am chosen to participate, my world comes to a crushing halt for fear of exposing my deepest, darkest secret. However, there is no getting out of the Games. Once one is chosen, they must participate.

And I am utterly and completely, screwed.