Chapter 2

After I finish eating, I decide to go meet my dad down at the fishing dock.

I run upstairs, grab my grey jacket, put on some jeans, smooth down my hair and go down stairs.

I take my first few steps outside, and already I can sense the tense atmosphere. 

Fortunately, I live in one of the better areas of District 4. Most of District 4 is pretty equal, but in one area near the border of District 4 and 5, there's a group of homeless. The only shelter they have is wooven mats they made themselves, and they only live on fish they catch in the stream near them, which is dirty anyway.

I find my dad, pulling in a bite from the water. When he notces my presence, he comes up and hugs me, his way of comforting me for the reaping.

"Hi Dad, I'll be fine I promise" I assure him.

"Yeah...I know" he replies.

My dad has bad history with the games. His younger sister, my aunt who I never got to meet, was killed in the 14th games at age 13. 

Grandma tells me it's like he lost his soul when she died, he was never the same for years. Until he found my mother, she was the only one who could heal him. He begun to find himself again, but he was never the same. No one's the same after the games, family member of a dead tribute or a victor.