Chapter 8

Grueling hours have slowly passed by. Matthew continued driving around every vehicle blocking their path. After a while, he, along with everyone else on the truck grew restless. Matthew soon approached a sign: Fayetteville: Next Exit.

"We're not far from Fort Bragg, guys," Matthew stated.

"I wouldn't take that risk," Brandon answered. "Heard that place has been abandoned for about a week. It could be overrun by now."

"It's worth a shot," Miller replied. "We just need to get off the road and lay low somewhere for at least a day. Take us there."

Matthew got off the exit to Highway 24 and drove around Fayetteville, maneuvering past battery dead vehicles and totaled cars. The group eventually arrived at Fort Bragg. once at the base, they made their way to the Pope Air Force Base. Matthew soon parked the work truck and turned off the ignition. Everyone stayed in the truck, waiting for any sign of life, or lack thereof.

"I don't see anything," Jake started. "I got a weird feeling though. Brandon, can you take a look?"

Brandon nodded as he pulled out his rifle. He gazed through his scope as he skimmed over the layout of the airport.

"I don't see anything either," Brandon confirmed. "We're clear outside."

"What about inside?" Miller asked.

Brandon glanced through his scope once more, scanning the windows of the base inside.

"It's clear," Brandon confirmed once more. "At least from what I could tell. Doesn't mean there couldn't be anyone hiding."

"I guess it's time to make entry. Find somewhere to hide and keep watch. Matthew, stay at the truck until we give the all clear."

Arnold, Jake, and Miller readied themselves to make entry to the base. They slipped on their ballistic vests and armed themselves with the weapons they retrieved at the Chesapeake landing zone. Arnold grabbed one of the shotguns, as he volunteered to take point. Jake and Miller grabbed their rifles and loaded up their magazines. Once ready, the three of them proceeded to the main door.

Jake opened the door, allowing Arnold to take point. Miller followed behind, keeping to one wall, so as to spread out and provide cover. Jake finally entered, providing cover from the wall on the other side. There were no zombies around, but everyone kept their guard up as they cleared each room.

The group made their way into one of the barracks. To their amazement, they had found a large stash of canned goods, bottled water, weapons, medical supplies, aligned in a pyramid formation.

"All these supplies," Arnold whispered as he inched closer. "How long do you think its been here?"

"I don't know," Jake answered. "But something doesn't feel right about this."

Jake moved closer to the supplies, moving away from the door behind him. Arnold pointed his shotgun to the door as Miller kept his eyes on the windows.

"That's far enough!"

Jake paused as he slowly turned around, only to see, through his peripheral vision, a pistol pointed straight at his head. The person holding it was a man who looked to be in his mid-twenties. His finger was on the trigger.

"Drop your weapon!" Miller ordered as he pointed his rifle at the man.

"Drop it!" Arnold repeated as he pointed his shotgun at the man as well.

Jake aimed his rifle at the man as well, cornering him.

"You first!" another voice yelled out.

Arnold swung around to see a gun pointed at him. This person was a younger lady, probably in her late teens. Miller pulled out his sidearm, keeping his rifle aimed at the man as he aimed his pistol at the girl.