Chapter 1

I was awake. I opened the curtains by my bed to reveal a fresh light shining onto my pale freckly face, warm, bright and full of hope. I got dressed in a light green knitted shirt and grey jogging bottoms. In case you want a description of me, here it is:
I have dark thin strands of hair in two plaits hanging down my back. I have light freckles over my nose and below my eyes, which are an emerald green and covered by round glasses resting on my nose. I have a strawberry shaped head and smiling pink lips.
I rushed downstairs with an addition of a brown and pink backpack. Mom smiled at me. She had green eyes, dark hair and glasses like me. Her name was Kirsty Rachel. My father was John Rachel and he had the same looks. I had an older sister: Charlotte Rachel, except we all called her Charlie. The last member of the Rachel family was my baby sister, Annabeth Rachel. She was six months old with a chubby face and (weirdly) blond curls. Everyone in our family was a brunette, so Mom was suspicious for a while, but then she settled down. Anyways it was Monday morning so I grabbed a apple and chewed it on the way, birds chirping and ran the few steps to my friend's house. I knocked. No answer. Another knock. Silence. I walked on, my mood flat. I cheered up as I walked into the school gates and saw my one of my favourite teachers, Mr Hunter. He was my science teacher. He looked about 26 with blond locks waving in the sunshine and a smile so warm it could melt chocolate. He was funny and joked around with the class. Everybody liked him as a teacher as he was very sympathetic. I waved to him, and he waved back, his grin a mile wide, his eyes squinting in the sun. I laughed and walked inside to my locker. The hallways were a little crowded. A group of cheerleaders in one corner, whispering. The popular boys with the girls, on their phones, laughing, texting and gossiping. The thing was everyone was on the sides, watching me as I walked through the corridor. Finally I couldn't stand it. My face felt 1000 degrees and my knitted shirt was practically soaking wet with sweat. "WHY ARE YOU ALL LOOKING AT ME?!" Everyone was silent, staring at me. Those eyes felt like lasers pointing at me. Then they all started laughing. I caught parts of their conversations.
"—think she is? OMG."
"—her shirt though... it looks fifty years old. Ew.''
"—embarrassing. She's such a nerd."
"—a crybaby."
The last one was certainly true as I burst into tears and ran into the girls' toilets. I looked at my reflection: my hair was a mess, my face was a tomato with freckles and glasses. I had tears and snot on my face. My clothes were not cool. I knew that. And there were only a few weeks until Prom. That reminded me of Lily, my best friend. We decided to go together as best friends. We both thought that boys were idiots and heartbreakers who just liked to play girls like toys. That put my mind into sharp focus. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and saw it was 8:25. Still five minutes till the bell rang. I grabbed a tissue from its dispenser and wiped my face. Then I sprayed deodorant all over myself. I felt better, and less sweaty. Then I texted Lily.
Nat: Hey
Lily: hey nat!
Nat: y rnt u @ school?
Lily: uh... My batterys about to run out
Nat: fine dont tell me i gotta go anyways😒
Lily: bye
That made me a little mad. And curious. Why did she lie? She never does that. She's definitely hiding something. And I gotta find out what it is...