~.~ Chapter Sixteen ~.~

The next day brought about a different air. Clara worked hard to do as promised, to deliver what was promised, but avoided Lord Winterbourne at all cost unless in the public eye. He was of course left to be surprised at the speed in which Clara works, and when DuPont finally realised Clara wasn't interested in him in that way, he admitted defeat and set about the real reason he had come to Sandringham. When the Duke put in an offer, Lord Winterbourne's seemed to be prove most favourable, and if it hadn't been for Clara DuPont wouldn't have bothered selling for he would have been too bitter to part with his beloved properties to these great men who will surpass his own greatness.

As the week past and the documents were finalised, Clara still remained as silent as ever, and it was no surprise that Ms Green and Catherine were called upon to take Clara home two days before the due departure. Georgiana was devastated so much so Lord Winterbourne allowed her to return home with her friend and thus he remained, feeling nothing to what had passed during his trip here.

Clara stepped through the door of her house unable to give her siblings and Mr Bishop nothing more than a faint smile before scurrying up to her room.

"Heavens, what do you think is wrong?"

"Wrong? She seemed fine to me." Bishop blinked.

Catherine shook her head, "Henry is right, Clara would have danced in here and told us all that had happened. Something must have happened."

"Perhaps she is simply tired?" James prompted.

Tilly shook her head, "I think I should go and see her. We left on bad terms and I want to make it right."

"I think Henry should go Tilly, you can make-up when Clara isn't feeling so vulnerable." James wrapped his arm over her shoulders.

"Vulnerable? Clara?" Catherine blinked, but as she said these words it only caused Henry to hurry in his steps to get to her.

"Clara?" He knocked, peering his head around the door.

She was staring lifelessly out of the window, still in her gloves and coat, observing the servants attending to her trunks from the coach.

She lacked her usual glow.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She flinched a little to his presence having not realised he was there, and slowly she shook her head.

He moved behind her, reaching out to touch her arms and force her to face him. In doing so Clara instantly melted into his chest.

He could only tighten to that, "Did Winterbourne hurt you?"

She said nothing.

"Clara. Answer me."

"I can't."

"Why?"

"Because it hurts too much."

"What does?"

Clara couldn't speak, but made of point of snuggling ino Henry and just being. If Henry was unable to get anything out of her, the rest of her siblings would surely fail also. He remained with her then, in her silence, holding her close whilst reading her one of her favourite books until finally she fell asleep against him. He didn't move in risk of disturbing her and merely ran his fingers through his hair growing more and more angry to possibility of what could have happened. He had never seen her in such a way and he knew for sure, what ever happened, was big enough to break her.

Clara joined her family for dinner and started to feel in better spirits once she had something warm in her stomach and warm in her hearts. Seeing Catherine and Mr Bishop so happy together was enough food to provide it.