~.~ Chapter Eighteen ~.~

"Clara, there you are! Come along, Kitty is looking for you everywhere." Georgiana breathed, yanking at Clara's hand and remaining utterly oblivious to the red faces of both her and her brother.

Together they found Catherine looking at the plan of the evening with horror.

"What's the matter?"

"Oh Clara," she rushed for her hand whilst Tilly took to fanning and Mrs Bishop repinning Catherine's hair, "this is all too much. This is all wrong and I haven't the heart to tell them - what will I even be like as a wife? I'll be expected to host the parties, put in the food orders, manage the house, and I lack a backbone or a good eye for things like you do!"

"Nonsense! Come now Kitty, who put together the best christmas feast a few years ago? Such a feast which went down so well all the feasts have been compared to it since! And who organised the best debut ball for Tilly? And me? You cannot tell me you didn't do any of that? Surely not?"

Catherine blushed, softening a little, "Yes.. Yes, I suppose, you're right. I'm just nervous."

"You shouldn't be, look, you shouldn't have to worry about any of this. You should be focusing on how much you love Mr Bishop and can't wait to be the new, Mrs Bishop. Tilly and I will see to everything else, so leave with Georgie and you're future mother-in-law and we will fix this."

Catherine hugged her tightly, before doing as instructed. Whilst Clara was concerned for her anxious sister she was happy for the distraction. Her and Tilly managed the staff tremendously well, organising everything Catherine would deem wrong, and settled for nothing but perfection.

The guests were then ushered inside, Tilly and Clara, acting as hosts as they lead the guests to their allocated seats.

"Lord Winterbourne," Tilly giggled in her curtsy.

Lord Winterbourne smiled a little back, "Miss Tilly."

"I hope you may---" Her face dropped with utter disappointment and anger, a unique blend he thought of both of her sisters, at the sight of Miss Gold. "Oh, Miss Gold. I didn't realise you would also be in attendance."

"Yes, I was a last minute addition. I think we'll prefer a seat closer to Mr Bishop, if you would be so kind."

Tilly was ready to lash out, Clara could sense it, and she jumped forward to assist her. "Oh, but Miss Gold, Georgiana and I were hoping we may trouble you for your insight. See, we've been away from London for so long and fear we've missed all the latest trends. Despite our differences, I know you to be a fashionable women, and we would really appreciate the assistance."

Miss Gold, naturally, felt honoured, "Really? Well, if you insist."

"Absolutely. Please, if you would find your place next to her, I'll be there in a moment."

Clara stuck her tongue out to Winterbourne when Miss Gold's back was turned to them.

"Really? Must you be such a child?" He hissed, walking passed her.

Clara ignored him, turning to Tilly. "Are you alright?"

"Why is he here with her? I thought he liked me!"

"I'm sorry he used you Tilly, that was a cruel trick, but have some faith. Miss Gold is here because Lord Winterbourne requires a companion, nothing more. Don't lose hope that there may still be a chance for you and him yet."

"Well, what do you think it is I should do?"

"Keep your distance, let him see that you're not bothered by his withdrawal of you. There is nothing which drives men crazier than when you ignore them and take it from me, for I have it on good authority to know Lord Winterbourne has had some recent experience in this, and he will buckle as he has done before." She smiled to that, "He isn't as great as you think."