EPITOME 01

"Tonight, dear friends, is a very special night," Lord Voldemort's chilling voice sent a run of tremors down her spine. Astrid was afraid, and she could readily admit it if it weren't her life on the line. "Tonight we welcome someone who has been there for our cause since the beginning to become one of our number." Astrid looked at her trembling hands and took a deep breath. For Mother, she told herself. To save Father, she convinced qherself.

"Astrid Matthews," Voldemort said, turning his burning red eyes to her. She did not tremble, however, but she did avert her gaze. No one started down the Dark Lord and lived to tell the tale. "Rise." She did as she was told and held out her arm. The Dark Lord smiled sinisterly and pressed his wand to Astrid's forearm.

Astrid let out a blood curdling scream as the black ink was burned into her skin. He removed his wand and Astrid trembled as the snake began to slither through the skull, an inky black.

"Welcome, Astrid Matthews to the Death Eaters." Astrid gazed up at the Dark Lord standing above her, a smug smirk on his face.

"Th-thank you, master," she said trembling as she lent down to kiss the hem of his robe.

______

Maria stared at her daughter, little love in her eyes. Ferdinand stood behind her, waiting for his turn patiently.

"Write me as soon as possible with new information, Astrid. You are in the best position to retrieve information. Worm your way into Potter's heart if you have to, I don't care. I have given you the tools necessary. Do not disappoint me again, Astrid," Maria gazed at her daughter with power intensity.

"I won't, Mother. Now, please, I have a reputation to uphold," Astrid tote her gaze away from her mother, who sniffed haughtily, a small, proud smile gracing her elegant features.

Ferdinand, unlike his wife, gave his daughter a brief hug. "Look after yourself, darling. Merlin knows the world would fall apart if we lost you." A rare, genuine laugh bubbled from inside of Astrid. Maria smacked her husband on the arm.

"It's her fifth year. No one will pursue her if they think that her father his overprotective," Maria hissed. "Now go, Astrid. And be careful who you give your secrets to."

"Yes, Mother," Astrid said sullenly, her moment of joy evaporated entirely.

"Head up," her mother said, smacking her. "Shoulders back. I did not raise a savage."

"Yes, Mother," Astrid replied, straightening like a puppet on strings. "I will see you for Christmas break."

"Go," Maria said, clearly no love lost for her daughter. "You'll miss the train."

"Yes, Mother," Astrid said before walking off. As soon as Astrid began to walk off, her parents turned on the spot, leaving her by herself. But she was used to it. Five years of brief hellos and goodbyes punctuated by her mother critiquing her every breath made Astrid numb to it. It was how she was raised.

Knowing she would have some trouble lifting her trunk onto the train without flashing everyone at the station, she turned flirtatiously to a third year boy who was about to get on the train. It was time to do what Astrid knew best.

"Excuse me," She said, tapping him in the shoulder. "Would you mind helping me with my trunk? It's awfully heavy," Astrid's voice was simperingly sweet, and she batted her long lashes at the unsuspecting third year. Cranking her charm full blast, his cheeks went red as he gazed Astrid up and down, only nodding and picking up her trunk, lifting it up with ease. That was the thing, Astrid had noticed. People were stronger, smarter, fitter, more able when it came to love. And Astrid wished that she could have someone actually love her, rather than just see her long legs and large breasts and start drooling. She wanted to share secret kisses in the moonlight, she wanted to dance in the rain, she wanted to run away from the world for love. But love felt like a weapon to her, and that was all she knew it for.