Chapter Nine

The plane ride was not elegant at all. Even with the good nap, Ellanor woke up leaning against Elijah who was awake yet unmoving. He made a weird 'tch' sound and jerked his shoulder away -- nearly making her fall over as she was too surprised to react -- even if he could have moved earlier. She was a literal stick.

However, as unsophisticated as the beginning of the trip seemed to be, the same could not be said for the penthouse suite Elijah had booked to stay in.

Ellanor swore that the walls were covered in gold foil. Half the furniture must be lined with gold, and if not gold, some other form of wealth: silk, porcelain, you name it. She also swore that the shiny yellow flecks put in her food was edible gold, too. And to think that there are millions of people starving away in the world while she would soon be sleeping under satin sheets!

Much to her distaste, Elijah had not only reserved the penthouse suite that took up possibly a fifth of the high rise hotel, but did not arrange a different suite for her. Ellanor would have settled for anything less, but no: she would be in the same. Darn. Suite. He could at least have the decency to warn her earlier.

Moreover, Ellanor didn't like accepting what she didn't earn. And no, it wasn't something Dallas had conditioned her for. This was an entirely personal mental trait of her own. While she liked the thought of money (let's be honest -- who doesn't?), she was even more focused on being a hard worker now that she had the choice to work. She never had that option before. It might be strange to think that having a job was better than free time, and that having to work was better than not doing so, but simultaneously, it gave her back a sense of control, and if she earned enough personal savings..., if she was good enough..., maybe she could run away.

For good.

No looking back.

Not an ounce of guilt.

That way, she would never see Dallas' sorry face again.

She didn't want help, either. But what was it Elijah said about pride just earlier? Safety over pride.

... She was too stubborn to outright admit that he was right, but... He was right.

But what if Dallas hurt someone else instead?

Ellanor needed a sure sign that if she got away, nobody else would be taking her place. She didn't need a replacement -- she needed an escape route that meant no other girl would be in her place, but hey, the legal system sucks these days, and justice was injustice. The world is a place where the villains get away and never pay the price.

Oh, well. Going back to the trip--

On the other hand, Ellanor believed that she'd be treated like any other 'commoner' during the meetings (which she was often required to accompany Elijah for) -- and maybe she even thought she'd be looked down upon by the other, successful entrepreneurs who had gathered to strike deals with Asmund Industries in order to find even more security under Elijah's authority, but instead, they kept their heads bowed. Whether it was out of respect for her apparent position or just high regard for (and maybe fear of) Elijah, Ellanor couldn't exactly tell.