The bond

Notes:

This a replacement chapter because I'm slowly working through editing everything.

I would greatly appreciate reviews!

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Chapter 3:

The Bond

Good morning Harry. I trust your first week has been pleasant" Dumbledore twinkled over half-moon spectacles.

"Yes, thank you sir." Harry replied nodding. Anything is pleasant in comparison to the Dursleys; even Potions lessons with Snape Harry thought wryly.

"You may take a seat." Dumbledore said gesturing to one of the two armchairs in front of his desk.

"Can I offer you some tea Harry? Or perhaps a lemon drop?"

"Yes, thank you sir." Harry reached for the outstretched sweet tin. "Tea would be great too." She finished.

"Two sugars and a milk if I remember correctly?" Dumbledore glanced up questioningly as he prepared the pot.

"Yes, thank you sir."

A long silence followed as Dumbledore prepared the tea, and Harry shifted uncomfortably.

"Uhm, sir? I mean no disrespect, but what did you need me for? Its only, I'm missing a lesson with Professor Binns and..." She trailed off hesitantly.

"Not at all" Dumbledore said, passing the cup and saucer. "You are quite right, I did call you here for a purpose; I shall explain the moment Severus has arrived."

"Snape?!" Harry yelped jumping out of her seat and spilling hot tea over her lap. "Why is he coming?"

"Professor Snape, Harry." Dumbledore admonished.

As if summoned by Dumbledore's words, Snape stalked into the office.

"Excuse my lateness headmaster" Snape drawled. "Potter has been flinging my Slytherins into walls and I was escorting them to the infirmary."

Harry stiffened and cast a quick glance over to see Dumbledore's reaction. There was none, and she relaxed imperceptibly.

Snape was offered a seat, some tea and a lemon drop.

He accepted the seat.

"Now that we are all present, I shall begin." Dumbledore straightened and then began to talk.

"Harry, the news I have isn't good." Dumbledore looked sombre. "The Dursleys have left England and we are yet to locate them. It appears the blood wards have fallen."

Bad news? This was the best news Harry had ever heard. "I don't have to go back" she said breathlessly, hope spreading warmth through her chest.

Snape glowered. The ungrateful brat was pleased about something that would utterly destroy Snape's already miserable life. She was probably pleased about the independence she thought she'd gain. Potter was about to realise how much she would miss her pampered lifestyle – that thought was the only thing that left Snape with a modicum of happiness.

"If they are located, then you will return, but until then you require an alternate form of protection."

Harry's face fell and something akin to fear flashed through her eyes.

Snape failed to notice the fear but he sneered at her disappointment.

"There are two forms of protection that would be appropriate; blood protection and bond protection. As the Dursleys are your last remaining blood relatives, that leaves us with bond protection. This Harry, is where Snape comes in."