Chapter 13: The Swamp

A familiar earthy smell wavered throughout my nostrils, prompting me to wake up. My eyes lay heavily, opening slightly to let in tiny speckles of light. My head rotated swiftly, scanning the surroundings which I immediately recognised- I was finally home. I was convinced the whole thing had been a fever dream until I nearly stumbled over Cordelia, who was out cold beside me. Panic struck a gong within my chest and I tumbled down beside her.  Moving my head to her chest, I listened for her breathing. She was frozen, her chest was as still as the swamp in Winter. Her skin was no longer supremely glowing but a pale grey, her lips peacefully parted to create a thin, black line.

 A familiar sense of loss welled up inside me and salty tears escaped my eyes. I was alone again. I hugged her tightly in an attempt to defrost her icy body. I then became conscious of my own, looking down at my skin to be met with revealing cuts that swelled my skin. Quickly, I rushed to my shelves and reached for the small jars of mud, opening them frantically until I found a full one. I then spread the magic mud onto my wounds, biting my lip tightly at the blistering pain that accompanied my skin's healing. Cordelia stayed still, which prompted me to fall beside her and focus. I felt determined and stronger now, meditating until I  balanced my life into hers. Her body began to warm but not enough for me to break focus. The trance was broken with Cordelia's long, drawn-out  gasp. Before I knew it my body collapsed beside her and my surroundings faded to grey. 

*Cordelia's P.O.V*

I bolted upright and  grabbed Misty, who had fallen beside me. Her eyes were tightly shut, which panicked me until I heard soft purrs escaping her mouth- she was only out cold. I inspected the daunt surroundings where almost everything made from wood. That smell was familiar...it smelled like fresh soil, but where was this place? The cogs of my mind started to turn clockwise until the realisation was revealed to me, it was Misty's swamp. 

Slowly, I got up and moved around the small shack which felt cold but cosy. I wished I could have grown up here instead of the overlarge houses that Fiona welcomed me into, then left. "Where would Misty keep firewood?" I questioned internally as I searched around. It wasn't before long until i found a stack of it in a small makeshift cabinet. I picked up two pieces and no more, for they felt much heavier than they were. To my relief, there were matches by the fireplace which I utilised to get a steady fire going. 

Misty started to stir, her wild curls moving with her head lazily. She reminded me of a sleeping puppy, her face was so contented and relaxed - yet so innocent also. I watched her sleepy face gradually illuminate in complete awe - how did I end up so fortunate to have her by my side? Immediately, my moment of awe disappeared and I moved Misty closer to the fire to warm her, for she felt like an icicle. Her body ascended slowly, her mass of golden curls falling downwards  A smile waned across her face when she noticed me beside her. 

"Thank god you're awake" I greeted her happily, hugging her tightly.

"How'd we get here...all I remember was fire an' those men?" Misty asked in confusion,her face deep in thought.

" The car capsized and was in flames,all i remember was you pulling me out and the smell of sulphur" I answered, Misty was still very confused.

" Those men..."

"Witch hunters - they must have been connected to Hank" I replied, which alerted Misty's eyes like a deer's when sensing the smell of a cougar. She jumped up and moved towardsthe doors and windows, barricading them with various objects.

"There is no need my love, they are gone and their superiors probably think that we're dead too.  If it wasn't for this place, we could've died" I spoke gravely. Misty looked a little embarrassed at this point.

" My swamp ain' much, I need to give it a clean or somethin'..." Misty spoke quickly, I then held my hand out to her and snapped her out of it. 

" I like it here...it's so cosy, better than the academy" which I said with a smile, making Misty's facial expression switch from embarrassment to pride. 

Her fingers intertwined further into mine and she leaned in slowly,her warm lips pressing into mine. Her mouth widened as we let go of eachover, I could not help but that that her smile resembled an angel's.

" Well...I think we should get warm an' rest a little, we need a bit of colour in here so i'll put Stevie on" Misty spoke warmly, as she walked around the cabin and turned the radio on. 

She grabbed a large, midnight blue shawl which was embellished with celestial silver and gold thread. I shuffled in front of the fire and waited for her to come closer, she then dropped down beside me and draped the shawl over us both. We huddled together and I rested my head on hers meekly, like emperor penguins keeping warm in the snow.